Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

denisons

620 PTO parts needed

denisons

I bought my 620 new in Nov. 1974, did a limited amount of custom garden plowing/tilling for 8 or 10 yrs, besides mowing two or three acres for 25+ yrs.

I had the Onan overhauled in 1982, then I re-powered the tractor with a 22 HP Kohler Command, before there were "Re-power Kits" to my knowledge.

Fast forward to 2018, While doing a 2 or 3 day roto-tilling project for a neighbors new/old lawn around his new house, I inadvertently ran the trans/hydralic oil low.

One minute it was tilling fine, next minute after a brief stop, when I switched the PTO back on, it stalled the engine.No more PTO!!!

The other day , while replacing the twin clutch belts, I found the splines/yoke on the upper shaft, right behind the engine to be BADLY worn>. Further looking, I removed the top plate from the transaxle housing . When I disconnected the electric clutch from the upper shaft in the gear case, I could turn the top shaft with a small pry bar using the hub bolts. I had to rock it back & forth for a while to free it up, part way around it turned more freely then it would hit a tough spot. The clutch still works fine, the upper shaft & its bearings seem ok, as do the center gear & its bearings, but I'm afraid the bottom, hollow 'output" shaft bearings are "toast"!!

I know I have to remove the upper shaft & the middle shaft/gear to be able to change out the lower shaft bearings, (I have the 620 service manuel). I know most if not all the parts I need are no longer available over the counter. I haven't called Sandy Lake or anyone else yet!! Garden tractor salvage yards??!!??

Where can I find the upper/front shaft/yoke & a PTO output shaft & bearings???  I may be able to fit NAPA to cross reference the bearings & races.

I could also use a link assembly (adjusting crank) for the 3 point hitch , gasp/gauge, etc.

ANY HELP/ADVICE would be appreciated!             Thanks, Mark    

ShaunE
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2021 at 3:54 PM, denisons said:

Where can I find the upper/front shaft/yoke & a PTO output shaft & bearings???

I can help with the bearings.

I rebuilt mine about five years ago.

I needed both bearings & just the "Field Assembly" for the clutch which was available @ Sandy Lake Imp. Part#-16521356

Small Bearing Part # - 176050 (NLA), Fedral Mogul # - X908-CC (Available), NAPA # - 6908VAL (Available).

Large Bearing Part # - 177960 Supersedes to 1663355. Buy it get it home & realize the inside race is wider than the outside race by approx .197".  It is the only difference, but it crates too much of an air gap to engage the clutch when the switch is flipped. 

I removed & disassembled it.  I believe it was the shaft I placed in my lathe & machined the housing approximately .098" to seat the bearing in farther.  It's been so long since I looked inside at it I really cant remember exactly what I machined down.

But it works like a dream.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1