Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 4211 Regent belt problem

JohnSol

Hi there, greeting from Perth, Western Australia...

I recently bought a 4211 Regent (1988 model) and have been slowly restoring it. It's in pretty good condition mechanically but I have encountered one problem that I don't seem to be able to solve.

I replaced the very worn drive belt with a new one - checked carefully it was the right size etc - and no matter how much tweaking and adjusting I do, I can get the drive belt to stop when the brake/clutch is depressed. Have adjusted belts stops, idler pulley and followed the operators manual on brake and clutch adjustments. 

However, there don't seem to be clear instructions in the manual on adjusting the drive belt tension, though I may have missed it. Are the belt stops and the idler pulley, the most important parts/settings to stop the belt when the clutch is depressed?

Can someone give me some ideas on how I might solve this?

Cheers! 

My first question is, are you using an OEM Simplicity or aftermarket belt? Simplicity belts are manufactured for their specific application and may have a slightly different length than a standard length aftermarket belt. The difference in lengths may cause an issue.

13 hours ago, Bill725 said:

My first question is, are you using an OEM Simplicity or aftermarket belt? Simplicity belts are manufactured for their specific application and may have a slightly different length than a standard length aftermarket belt. The difference in lengths may cause an issue.

Hi Bill, It's an after market belt. I couldn't find an original Simplicity Belt #1666698 in Australia, or anywhere for that matter. Maybe it's been superseded?