Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 4040 questions

Jjsmachines

Hi all,

Browsing and found a Simplicity 4040 for sale not too far from me.  Wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with them.  Looks like its much larger than the landlord or sovereign tractors.  Says it has a 3 point hitch and front and rear PTO's.  My understanding (and I could be totally wrong on this so don't hesitate to correct me) is that the Onan engines are hard to find parts and they are no longer around.  I'm wondering if it's worth taking a look at and checking it out.  Has a blade (front I think), snowblower, and mid mount mower deck.  What do you think it could be worth?  They say it runs well.  One ad is asking 1800 and the other is 1600.  I'll see if I can find the ad and put the link.

Thanks,

Jonathan

• Like 1

If everything works, that's probably a good price.  There are various machines almost identical, but with 16 and 19 hp engines.  The Simplicity 4040 and 4041, the Allis Chalmers 616 and 620,  PowrMax, Homelite 20? - someone else can give a more definitive list..  There aren't a lot a machines from their era with lots of parts available, but they do show up.  The engine parts for rebuilding are fairly expensive, but newer engines have been successfully transplanted.  Do a search through the site and you will find lots of references to them.  Owners tend to keep them for quite a while.

• Like 1

yes some onan parts can be harder to come by or expensive. if you go look at it be sure to jack up the rear end and check drop housings for axle bearing play i have had a few of these tractors that the bearings were wore out. they are able to be repaired and parts are avalible. just nice to know what you are getting.

yes there are other machines of the same build. simplicity powermax 4040, 4041, 9020. allis chalmers 616 620 and 720. and montgomery wards twin twenty.

• Like 1

I wouldn't hesitate on buying if were me,

Parts for the Onan's can be found with a little leg work some expensive but if you look can be found reasonable .

I've had several over the years and have never paid the outragous prices some claim.

4040 Simplicity Powermax, had the CCKA Onan .16 hp and from what I understand there is a little differences in the final drives, had 2 with no issues, rear PTO shaft has a carrier bearing on shaft other than that all other things are interchangeable.

As Stephen said be sure and check it out, at that price if you wait to long it will be gone , they don't stay for sale long as there's always someone looking for them.

• Like 2

I agree with everything Looyd said.  They are always in demand, and for that price, you can't get hurt too bad.  The used parts market for mechanical needs is plentiful, and most wear parts are common standard parts...bushings, bearings, etc. 

If they are claiming 'rear PTO', make sure it works.  Many are missing the intermediate shaft and clutch, so you're $1600 machine just became $2300 to be fully functional.  

The 4040 had a single spool implement control valve, which is really the only drawback of it vs the later models.  Essentially, you will be running your 3pt up and down along with your front blade, blower or deck.  I run a front broom and rear blade, so that would be a deal breaker.  

These are my two current machines.  I can't seem to settle on just a tractor, I need to find and keep the ones that are uncommon.  The blue variants were branded for Montgomery Ward and I don't think eve 2 dozen have surfaced to this point.  These are serial #'s 2 and 8.  

No photo description available.

• Like 3