Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC716H vs Ac916H mowing decks

BrettB

Are the mowing decks on AC 716's and AC 916's the same? I have a 716 and have a chance to purchase a 916, but I would like to be able to use the 716 deck on the 916. (Both are 48 inch decks) Any help appreciated.

As far as using the two decks they will both fit to both tractors. As far as "are they the same" , that all depends on the age of the 716. If its 1976 - 78 the decks should be the same as the 900 series deck. If its a 1974-75 the hookups will be similar but the shells will be a little different. In 1976 or 77 they started making a different type spindle assembly using a split cup design. This is my preference to have to use and work on. Easier to get apart and rebuild. These fit into three sunken wells formed into the deck where as on the previous design the deck shell was simply flat on top and the spindles were a welded steel design.

Thank you all for the info on the decks. I must have the new style deck as it has the sunken wells. I sure enjoy this site. I have often visited it but never posted. I retired last year and started a small mowing business. I have a 712H and a 716H. Haven't seen anything yet that mowes as smooth as the AC/Simplicity deep decks. I look forward to using the expertise of those in this club. Thanks again.

Carl, I think only the belt on the deck itself is different. The cross-drive belt would be the same for each deck if used on the same tractor - correct? I use a 48" deck off a '74 3416H and a 48" deck of a '87 916H. No problems swapping between the tractors as long as the cross-drive belt stays with the tractor (78.1" on the 916H, and 71.?" on the 3416H. Brent

Brent, Yes, you use the cross-drive belt appropriate for the tractor series. The 900/7100 types mounts the deck relatively further forward than the 700/7000 tractors. I don't exactly understand why the deck belts are 8" different. The relative positions of the arbors are the same, but the idler setup is different for one thing and 900/7100 deck has significantly less belt tension.