Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Talntedmrgreen

Another cab heater - Legacy LC

Talntedmrgreen

I seem to play musical chairs with my tractors, and this holds true for the Legacy's.  I really like them, but they have to be a good deal.  I use the snot out of them and now 'need' two.  However, I had a bit of bad luck with a diesel motor 2 years ago, replaced that engine and have continued to use the machine.  I had the early legacy style glass cab and was plenty happy with it.  Recently, i sort of threw my hands up over the diesel...just got tired of the noise, smell, etc, especially when using the cab in winter.  I found a very old ad for a liquid cooled gas powered machine with 1/3 the hours and the newer style cab...a big bonus as it allows loader use and relinquishes me for the 'need' for two Legacy's.  I gave them an offer I could live with, and they decided they could too, so it came home to replace the diesel/early cab. 

I quickly made the change, but needed to add heat.  I ran a 12V setup once years ago, and it was worthless.  This cab came with that same heater, which is enjoying retirement in the local landfill now.  I found a very economical fluid heater on ebay, and got to work installing.  This one has dual suirrel cage fans and 4 outlets, so I can pipe heat to points within the cab for comfort and defrosting.  My prior liquid powered heater in the old cab, vs my new one:

641174F4-CDCE-48B0-AB90-8DE7373E27A3.thumb.jpeg.0194c29aab11f7b99298dd5e8a4a8973.jpeg154758170_2951039938503218_4404251713847181976_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=mPYq0ng1Jt8AX9bgfXI&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&tp=7&oh=5b6afec16d1976f3dee0eef2a10be077&oe=60644EEF

• Like 2

Talntedmrgreen

I made a few enhancements this go-round.  I used the same quick connect setup for fluid, but also went with a 'no hole' install for the heater unit.  I grabbed a pair of 95lb magnets from harbor Freight and bolted them to the housing.  The unit holds VERY firly to the cab now, without me needing anti-anxiety medication in order to drill holes in a cab that costs more than some people spend on cars. 

No photo description available.

The ports go in nice and easy.  Getting the right combo of fittings for a 5/8" hose heater, 1/2" hose tractor and hydraulic couplers can be a bit of a trick, and of course no one place has everything I need.  This time around I built in a bypass for the cooling system. I can run full flow to the heatercore, or partial.  When the heater is unplugged, then I'm not starving the engine.  My old setup simply allowed flow to the engine and heater simultaneously, all the time, until the coplers were unplugged.  The Mickey Mouse look is a bit odd, but it allowed me to keep the valve away from the hood, and avoid tight bends that kink.  The wiring I am running is 99% contained within the cab frame, so that adds a bit of challenge.  When that's done, I'll share some photos.  I am running aux lighting wiring while I'm at it, so I can add a rear worklight and dome light.

• Like 5