Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simp3212H

Simplicity 3212H Fuel Tank

simp3212H

I've got a fuel tank on my 3212H that has several rust pin holes in the bottom. I'm not sure there is enough good metal to braze/solder the holes sealed. Does any one know of a replacement that fits or does anyone have a used tank that does not leak?

PhanDad

Non-leaking original tanks are not easy to find. 
See this post for an alternate:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/46259-fdt-plastic-replacement-gas-tank/

Others have coated the inside of the tank, but I don’t remember the details. 

I found this @MrSteele advice from a previous post: 

If a metal tank. You can fiberglass the outside if it is that bad. Whatever, I would clean the inside. A handful of nuts and small bolts inside to be shaken around either by hand or driving with it strapped to the wheel of another machine. Flush with water after removing bolts and nuts, and flush several times, til the water is cleared up. Then flush with gas or mineral spirits, when that flush is clear, final flushes with gas or MEK. I personally use MEK, since it evaporates quicker. I forgot to say that if you use MEK, good ventilation or outside. When all flushed, line with RedCoat

http://www.damonq.com/Red-Kote.html

It is pricey, but when properly installed, you now have a thin plastic tank, no more rusting, ever. Look online for users that can tell you how to use it. The directions on the can will work, but there are better ways, or, PM me and I will share my 18-20 years experience. You may find it at a local store, cheaper than online.

Edited by PhanDad
Added MrSteele coating advice
  • Like 1

wwbragg

Put about a cup or so of Harbor Freight tumble media or walnut shells in the tank.  Strap it to a wheel  on one of your operating tractors. Drive it around for an hour or so while you mow.  Empty the media and if the pinholes are minimal, treat the inside with Por 15.  If the leakage is more pronounced, coat the inside with epoxy.  As an alternative, cover the bottom with fiberglass and apply the epoxy to the outside. 

• Like 1

spi

I coated 3 tanks with por15. Used one on a tractor I sold, another on one I use, and have one on the shelf. I am impressed with the stuff. Adhere to the directions the stuff is pretty pricey. But then again I did 3 tanks with one kit.

• Like 2

rbstuartjr

On an old B10 I had, I used Marine JB weld  on the bottom of the tank where it had a few pin holes. This was 20 years ago. It lasted the 2 years I had it. 

• Like 2

gwiseman

I’ve coated 3 with Kreem (I think that’s correct). 2were good forever it seems. 1 has lasted since maybe ‘05 or so on my early B10. Sold the other on a tractor after using several years. The 3rd didn’t last a week but that one was a seam problem if I remember correctly. If you find a good clean used tank you’ll likely pay near 1 C note.

simp3212H

Thanks for the advice. This tank is not even worth cleaning. The whole bottom has pin holes.  I'm not even sure a coating product would work. I'm a good brazer I may end up forming a new bottom and brazing it to the current tank. Lot of work I'm not looking forward to.

spi
5 hours ago, simp3212H said:

Thanks for the advice. This tank is not even worth cleaning. The whole bottom has pin holes.  I'm not even sure a coating product would work. I'm a good brazer I may end up forming a new bottom and brazing it to the current tank. Lot of work I'm not looking forward to.

You could use a piece of class mat with the por15 and cover the bottom of the perforated tank,  One of the tanks I fixed was so nasty I desoldered it, took it apart, cleaned it, then soldered it back together and then por15d it.

jdwilson

I've had pin holes, over the years, on both the 728, and the 2012. I've only used SEAL-ALL, that comes in a yellow tube. Works great, and is a permanent fix!

• Like 1