Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

kt 17 oil weight?

gravey72

Does anyone use anything other than what the manual calls for in the kt series engines? They only list SAE30 and 5W-30 based on temperature. Thanks

Summer, straight 30 weight if available, 10W30 in the winter.  At least that's what I have been schooled on for many years.  Oil has become so much better than when originally specified for these engines, that I think you can't do too much harm if using a different product.  The main thing, without and question at all, is keeping it topped off, and taking the time to change the oil when due.  This is far, far more important than the grade, IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, 

UPDATE, I USED 10W-30 AND 15W-30.  Not 5w-30 sorry

My experience, of kt17 II, and magnum 18 an 20hp engines, over about 15yrs . If they are older/worn, when I used 5w-30 or 10w-30 at any temperatures I had higher to very higher usage of oil, requiring more frequent addition of oil.  Using SAE 30, oil came back a more normal .

I had all the records of my tractors' oil usage and hours run on my large white board in my worshop,  however, young grandkids ! Yes all oil data gone , but I now have some memories in the form of rudimentary drawings.....for me this is good,  however for the reader (right now) a distinct lack of measurable evidence to my statements! 

I even bought (MAGNUM 20hp) a very smoky high user of oil, because I knew that the seller was using 5w-30 oil. I got it home, used it for a few hours , oil consumption changed oil, SAE30  smoke gone, oil consumption within reasonable bounds. ! So in my experience using 5w-30 will mean more oil consumption and possibly more exhaust blue smoke. 

Best Regards Colin 

Edited by colincox1
Corrections
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, gravey72 said:

They only list SAE30 and 5W-30 based on temperature.

The oil recommendation chart in the KT Service Manual also shows 10W-30 and 10W-40:

image.png.ef3ad049530dc969569a0793cd22df00.png 

The statement under the chart sums up what @Brettw & @colincox1 stated.  

In the 7117 tractor I had for awhile, I ran straight 30 weight year round,  The tractor did do snowblower duty in the winter.  But it was kept in an attached, but unheated garage which rarely (if ever) dropped below freezing.  

If the tractor was routinely stored and used in sub-freezing temperatures, I probably would have went with 10W-40.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use Rotella T6 full synthetic 5w-40 year around in all my tractors which include KT17 and M20 engines.  All use little to no oil.  I had a KT17 with a lot of blow by, lots of crankcase pressure, used a fair amount of oil, less with the synthetic. 

BTW I disconnected the breather hose from the carb air cleaner and directed down (vented to atmosphere) .  NO more oil burning.  I have since rebuilt the engine.

Ok PhanDad you made me bust out my service manual to make sure I wasn’t completely crazy...! It’s similar but adds the 10-30&40

DF47FDF4-7A7B-48B0-AFAB-45AE790A6F43.thumb.jpeg.8519a75a7eb85fe77ba33d6df580f93e.jpegMy service manual is dated 11/82 on the back, yours must be newer. I’ll have to make a decision on what to run year round. Command is easy with 10w-30 being a year round 0-100’

I appreciate everyone’s input!!!

50 minutes ago, gravey72 said:

My service manual is dated 11/82 on the back, yours must be newer.

image.thumb.png.2875cf34cad6a8265ac7abcb8f1393fb.png

No mention of date anywhere that I can find.  I downloaded it in August 2003, I think from the Kohler Site.  Only mention of dates is in the engine ID section:

image.thumb.png.e4201b53b7f623dc8c2a927d85c0b6db.png

The paper Owners Manual I have, TP-2107, dated 9/83, has the same chart as above.  I believe I acquired that owners manual with a 7117 I had at one time.   

The Owners Manual (TP-2107-C, Issued 4/87, Revised 12/95) that I down loaded along with the Service Manual in August 2003 has this chart:

image.png.23309366b0ef0eff3ed72e451469f8c0.png

The 10W-40 listing is gone and a "Kohler Magnum" oil listing was added.  

Edited by PhanDad
Adjusted spacing