Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HOLY MOLY!!!!

lboy1971

Point taken Woody. The first tractor for sale was virtually new. The second tractor was barely broken in. Also, my Dad worked his entire life at Allis Chalmers and would roll over in his grave if I bought a Chinese tractor made by Nortrac. Also, I plan on having the tractor for many years, I bet in 30 years if you mention the name Nortrac when looking for parts, folks will go WHAT? I work hard for my money and I prefer to own as American of equipment as possible. I recall back in the 1970's when Chinese tools became popular because they were cheap. The only ones I still see around now are new in there package, the rest were broke and tossed, usually after little use. I have a lot of well used SK's and Bonnys from that era that are still in like new fuctionally condition. Quality verses Price, you get what you pay for, its the American way. I will wait and save my money to buy quality. Even if it is lightly used. Dan

Another 620 Allis on ebay this past week went for over $5000. I think $5600. Loader and mower deck on this one at least. The other was just a bare tractor. Sure glad I got my 620 running good again. Front and rear pto, three point hitch, 60" deck,60" front plow,front bumper plus weight and rear wheel weights and chains, cultivators. Anyone interested? Lets talk, lol

Woody, Be careful ... I've heard some very, very bad things about that Chinese junk. Parts are impossible to find. No hydro, no live power, etc. There are many fly-by-night dealers popping up, selling that Chinese junk - and then they are gone. Check on www.tractorbynet.com and you'll find some very dissatisfied owners of these Chinese tractors. You'll be light years ahead, buying a name brand compact (JD, NH or Kubota) from a reputable dealer. All of the reputable compacts are Japanese - although most are assembled in the US. JD=Yanmar; NH/Case=Shibaru; Agco/Massey=Iseki; Kubota=Kubota. There is a reason why the Chinese tractors are so cheap. Remember the old adage: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Just my 2 cents. Jeff

I looked at those nortarcs in Palmer last summer. The decimal point would have to move to the left at least one spot for me to look again. Looked pretty crude workmanship to me. When I was a kid it was jap junk, with time they inproved there quility to produce good products. Maybe I'll spend my SS check on a Chinese tractor if all my old Simplicties die before me. MPH

Just want to remind everyone that my post is really about the overpriced Ebay tractors and I used Northern's tractor as a quick example. Jeff out of curiosity I took a look at the tractorbynet site and read ALL of the posts about the Northern tractor. Most of the posts were friendly BS. The one guy who actually owned one said the tractor was perfect. Most people figure the Chinese tractor is going to break and you'll have to fix it yourself. Well that is exactly what you are going to do with the overpriced OLD tractors on Ebay. The diesels in the Chinese tractors are made by Xin Xing. They produce 700,000 engines per year. Their site makes mention of German and Italian equipment to assure quality during the manufacturing process. I believe they realize that junk (pun) doesn't sell very well. I just collect small garden tractors and there would be very few tractors in the collection at 5000 plus a pop...Woody

Would you buy an old 1970's machine for 5 grand plus or would you rather buy this new for a few bucks more?...Assuming you need anything as big as either machine...Some of you know what I think of Ebay buyers so I won't repeat it...Woody http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/188000_lg.jpg

Woody, How can you state tractors sold on eBay are overpriced? Seems to me it's a perfect example of supply and demand. No one is being forced to bid. There are many people who don't have the inclination, ability, or time to hunt for a so-called bargain. I suppose a brand new Chinese tractor will suit some buyers perfectly. Others have their reasons to spend more on a Deere or Kubota. Still others have their reasons for wanting a 30 year old machine. Why question how others spend their money?

Hey Woody, My ears were ringing. Its all in a persons priorities. I drive a car I paid 700 for and just recently bought a B-10 for 800. Bid on this one for an obsene amount, it suprised me what it went for too. And, as far as the newer equipment, I don't beleive one can purchase a comparable tractor with a loader and mower for anything near 5K. Just recently saw what you get for 8000 from Simplicity. I would have that aluminum stuff torn up in a week and I'm easy on equipment. Dan

Well that tractor above is 5999. While I don't know the manufacturer YET I'm sure it's going to be running for a good long time before it's worn out. For 2900. they sell a loader for it. Maybe less with a combo sale. I'm adding this link from the Northern Tool site: Tractor,loader and box blade 8499. My point is: Old and worn with high prices for replacement parts and engines is the wrong way to go UNLESS you're just collecting which means nothing has to make sense..Woody[A href='http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=826795&prmenbr=6970']http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=826795&prmenbr=6970[/a]

How do I know? Common sense. Read my statements carefully. I do state that there are times when it doesn't matter what someone pays. I care because the same moronic buying stupidity is driving home prices to unnatural highs here on Long Island. Why does that matter? Because my son and his new family need a home. Please get off the Chinese Tractor kick. I already stated it was a quick example and I knew it would take attention away from my point. I'll could find others for you, non Chinese, but for what purpose. I'll say it again, I do business with Chinese people EVERY DAY and there is no reason to think they are inferior. Most always they are extremely intelligent people...Woody

Woody, Maybe I was a little harsh on the Chinese tractor thing. I just remember reading many posts on tractorbynet about the bad luck guys were having with Milleniums, Mahindras, Jinmas, Sheninus, etc., etc. - all the same Chinese stuff - like the Nortracs. No warranty's, no parts, no product support, etc. Anyway, I wouldn't want to purchase a brand new tractor that required immediate maintenance and repair. I expect to work on a tractor that is 25+ years old. Even if the PowerMax's bring $5K+; they are great tractors with a lot of capabilities. Comparing to new tractors with similar horsepower and capabilities - you'd pay much, much more. However, it would be new and have a warranty, etc. Then there is the whole collectability thing. Look at the prices that antiques (cars, furniture, whatever) bring. Ebay is haven for that stuff. Re China: Remember, they are Communists and leave a lot to be desired on human rights issues. Their people work very hard, long hours for very low wages - and live in poverty. As far as I'm concerned, the US shouldn't be trading with them at all. However, we'd be paying much more for consumer products - if we didn't trade with China. Six of one ... Re Real Estate: Remember that they don't make any more ground, so it's back to the supply and demand thing. As the population continues to rise, so will land values. How's that, Woodpile? Just adding fuel to your fire. ;o) Jeff

Woody, I thought you were trying to find information on Chinese tractors because of your statement that you "hadn't found out who the manufacturer was YET". I thought that meant you were diligently searching for information. I was only trying to help. As far as eBay goes, nobody is forcing any given price on anything there. There are always at least two bidders at or near that final selling price. I'll bid on it until it hurts if I want it bad enough. I sure as hell don't want to be known as a moron because I did. Don't go thinking because you've got a high-price ceiling that everybody else has to be lower than yours. It doesn't work that way. You even said nothing has to make sense when you're collecting. How about when it's the only place you can find the particular item you're looking for? I've said it before, with eBay items usually two days after that killer high priced deal that you really wanted goes down you'll find another one closer to home, in better shape, that sells more realistically. Patience is a virtue, keep looking in peoples back yards and local advertiser papers. Usually the best deals can be found there without hundreds/thousands of on-lookers getting involved. I happen to think eBay is about the greatest thing ever to come from the internet. Just think where we'd be without it. It brings "arm chair" shopping world wide. Don't forget Epier, Yahoo or any of the other auction sites. Sandy

Woody, With your reference to "unnatural high prices", if you compare my parents cost to earnings ratio when they built their home with my cost to earnings ratio for a 300K+ home now, I have it over 3 times easier, even with this pricey house. Both of us went to school for Engineering. Also, why are you looking a gift horse in the mouth, I bet you really hate that your homes value on Long Island has increased so much. I know everyone just hates a good investment. LOL Dan

Great! Mahindra is Indian. I'm buying parts for my 1957 through 1962 Jeep Forward Control trucks from them...Woody

CleanBee, Home prices are out of line on Long Island. It's not my opinion it's a fact. Your home is not supposed to be just your investment. It's supposed to be your Home first. My investement homes I rent out. They'll be there forever,the renters that is, so you're right keep those home prices up there. I'm not just passing through, I'm here to stay. I don't have home equity loans, I have no mortgage, I pay my bills easily. Nearly ALL of the new buyers are biting their nails paying bills with two incomes. What happens when one of you becomes a Mommy? Do you have one of the new 50 year mortgages? Maybe we should have prices so high that we have mortgages we pass on to our kids. That's how it's done in Japan. I had second thoughts about using the word moronic but that's how it stays.. I'd like to see someone do statistics about buyers remorse and its relationship to Ebay...Woody P.S. I'm rattling my cage. I'm also meeting with a local tractor dealer selling Chinese tractors 3 miles from my home. I'm going to see first hand how they're made and how they are assembled by the dealer out of the crate. He also knows I don't want one. [A href='http://www.newsday.com/business/realestate/ny-bzcol2708970may17.column?coll=ny%2Drealestate%2Dheadlines']http://www.newsday.com/business/realestate/ny-bzcol2708970may17.column?coll=ny%2Drealestate%2Dheadlines[/a]

Woody, The real estate thing does seems to be getting out of control. Take a look at towns like Sandpoint Idaho, the Flathead Lake area of Montana, I can tell you exaclty what happened there, folks with money moved in from california with a big wad of dough, Movie stars bought up old farms and river/lake property, soon locals whos parents lived there for generations couldnt AFFORD to live there. Im not bashing Realtors,money,people who have money or progress, However, I heard last winter a very famous actress built a home on a lake not far from here, Ive got 80 acres with lake access, How long before my taxes drive me out, or speculators drive me nuts? there goes the neighborhood. As far as tractors go, nope I wouldnt personally spend 5k on a 30 year old tractor, but if someone else wants to who cares. take care dougm

Woody, Whatever ... not sure of all the names of the Chinese, Korean, Indian, etc. offerings. There seems to be so many of them. They are probably all owned by the same world comglomerate, anyway. It seems like these tractor companies get bought and sold and swallowed up by large corporations - you never know who owns what. Probably MTD owns them all - who knows. We'll probably all be mowing with Yard Bugs, someday. That's why we need to keep these old AC's and Simplicities going - and pay those high ebay prices for them. LOL Jeff

YEA!!! But that can of "worms" can catch alot of good fish ie. infomation. This & $1.00 might get you a small coffee Maynard aka/UCD

One post goes nearly around the world here. From China to Sandpoint Idaho. And you can catch a few select names along the way! Dan

Woody, Check out mtrac.com, lots of Mitsubishi powered tractors in there priced real low. Also, check out Chinese Tractor Owners Association. Not sure how you get there but I'm sure with a savvy google search you'll find it. Sandy