Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spark plug and point gap for 7117 with Kohler Kt17

KevinD

According to my book the point gap is .017 -.023, plug gap is .025 and spark plug is Champion RBL 15Y. You might want to find a Kohler Twin Cylinder Service Manual for models KT17,KT19 and KT21 to walk you through all the procedures to get that carb and tune-up procedures properly done. From what I'm reading into this you may have got a load of bad or rotten fuel and it screwed up your carb. Electrical problems don't come about overnight usually unless something got misadjusted for some reason. If you haven't touched anything it's probably something simple like bad fuel. Try draining your tank and using some fresh stuff. It would probably be a good idea to change your fuel filter too as it may be plugged and that's why it won't run unless your choke is partially closed because it's not getting enough fuel and the choke is giving it it's best fuel/air mixture with it being closed. Sandy

Does anyone know the plug type and gap for this motor? The motor has Autolite number 26 plugs in it right now. Is the an approriate plug type? I purchased the tractor used and have not changed the plugs yet. Also the procedure for setting the points and what the gap should be set to. I have found lots of info for Briggs, but not much for Kohler. Thanks, Kevin Dankmeyer

Usually point gap is .020 and plug gap is .035 for most engines. I don't have the specs on one of these. These are the numbers I use for all my engines that have points. Rod H.