Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wonder What Safety Nannies Think?

CarlH

1 hour ago, PhanDad said:

I see a law suit in the making.  

Some of the mower repair shops around here are starting to  require all the safety features that were on the tractor out of the factory to be on it and working before your machine leaves their shop. If a particualr safety part does not work, or has been removed,  the shop orders the parts and installs them  and you foot the bill. Either that or they dont work on your mower.

• Like 1

Some of the nanny's make total sense, even if I don't like all of them.  The seat nanny is especially hard to swallow, growing up with the Sovereigns and the hand controlled hydro.  I know it's not the right thing to do, but over the past 50+ years, I can't tell how many times I've walked alongside a slow moving tractor instead of mounting and dismounting to drive 10 feet.  

• Like 4

Can't believe that I have become one of those conspiracy theorists. But it looks to me to be just one more example of trying to make everybody dependent on our nanny big brother state.

• Like 1

Just now, Brettw said:

Some of the nanny's make total sense, even if I don't like all of them.  The seat nanny is especially hard to swallow, growing up with the Sovereigns and the hand controlled hydro.  I know it's not the right thing to do, but over the past 50+ years, I can't tell how many times I've walked alongside a slow moving tractor instead of mounting and dismounting to drive 10 feet.  

I ran into a grave stone because my sisters JD goes faster when you push with your right foot. Too bad the bureaucrat who dictated that wasn't standing there.

• Like 2

I'm not a safety nanny but it would really suck to be the dad that actually backed his riding mower over his kid while the deck was running. I remember reading about it and something about a safety being disabled.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Some of the mower repair shops around here are starting to  require all the safety features that were on the tractor out of the factory to be on it and working before your machine leaves their shop. If a particualr safety part does not work, or has been removed,  the shop orders the parts and installs them  and you foot the bill. Either that or they dont work on your mower.

I'll take it one step further.  This has been a common practice in my neck of the woods for years however there is one dealership that will also notify the manufacturer of such practices & this will void any type of factory warranty & your name goes on one of those secret lists for documentation purposes if there is any litigations in the future.  True or not, I don't disable any of mine for that purpose.  The same goes for the chute deflectors.  They will not take, trade or resell any machine containing a deck without one.

• Like 1

You know the first thing I do is disable the seat safety and completely remove the wiring for it if the tractor is far enough apart. There is nothing I hate more then not being able to stand up if needed to see something. With that being said I've also had my tractor almost throw me over the front of it while sitting on it using the plow. The spring trip worked but dam did my stomach get a gut punch still. So first thing I did in the spring was dig the old mailbox concrete foundation out. Thank God I live in the sand cause that thing was big and deep. 18x18x14 talk about over kill for a mailbox. 

I've also used the tiller as a rear weight and been stuck and stood on the tiller in the snow to put more weight on rear axle when required. That new backup switch is exactly why I won't buy new tractors it's flat out stupid. If your kid was riding shotgun with you mowing like I did as a kid he couldn't get ran over. !! 

If you get hurt, or hurt someone else using your equipment around your yard it is quite possible that your home owners insurance may cover it ...but if a safety device is disabled ...it is a wide open window that the insurance company will jump through to avoid covering the loss...and we all know that there are some people who really need these safety features just to protect them from themselves

• Like 2

I have kids and dogs running all over the place, and not a single one of them wants to hang out behind my mower, especilally while I'm operating it.  I'm not sure what kid would want to be there.  Sometimes natural selection is just doing its job...makes sense when you look at our society and the coorelation of stupidity with 'safety enhancements'.

• Like 2

Amen Taintedgreen. 

As for insurance jumping for that. Insurance is there specifically to protect against stupidity.  If I cut a tree down and it falls on someone or my house they pay for it. They might drop me but that's what it's therefore. As long as they can't prove it was intentional . Now if I hire somebody to do it that's a whole nother story.

Our NH used to shut off when you hit bumps, or stood up to see. Funny thing is that stopped happening awhile back. It must have fixed itself lmao. Been driving equipment for a long time. Some things are just too much. 

Safety is key. But common sense is life saving.

Surprised to see a plug listed for that and not worded "differently"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hurleyii said:

Amen Taintedgreen. 

. As long as they can't prove it was intentional .

When you disable a safety feature...it is intentional

42 minutes ago, MARK (LI) said:

Ahh but that is considered stupidity.  Cutting a tree down on your house is also stupidity but if they can prove you did it intentionally to collect it's insurance fraud. 

Also FYI my Simp dealer told me Simplicity is installing resistance modules in the seat safety's. They found out trying to diagnose a problem and when they had no luck they called tech support and they where told to do that they had to ohm out the resistance of the switch open and closed. 

1 hour ago, MARK (LI) said:

Yep, it is. And necessary to make the machine useable!

Want to back up while the deck is in gear (which happens many times in ONE mowing of 2 acres!) Safety Nannies: you have to pull up on the RIO knob to do so. (That has been bypassed.)

Need to get off the tractor for a few seconds to clear a dead branch out of the way? Safety Nannies: The seat switch will kill the engine if you do that! (That has been bypassed.)

Need to apply the brakes to control the tractor on a steep downgrade while mowing? Safety Nannies: Applying the brake will stop the PTO. (That has been bypassed.)

IOW: to use a tractor as intended, one MUST bypass the "IDIOT SWITCHES". It's the same as the idiotic "CONTENTS ARE HOT" label on McDonald's coffee cups!

Edited by Hick
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, MARK (LI) said:

It really doesn't  take a lot to figure out how to use the equipment and make use of the safety features

Some safety features I'm ok with. Like my Agco1920 last spring I got it running, (Another Cub Donated Command)  Lasted 2 days and suddenly I had to jump the solenoid with key in start position. I thought wth is that . Must be in start position that's a first for me. Soon I realized when I had to do this the deck would not engage period. ( After I purchased a new solenoid).  Yes bought new solenoid and fixed the problem. ( So I thought). Lasted 1 day and same thing.  Talk to dealer and Thomas and I figured out I needed a new control box thing magig after testing out all the safety switches except seat which was bypassed. Well newer models are untestable the dealer informed and I might want to sit down before he told me how much. I said nevermind, and went to my wiring diagram for my engine and determined it wasn't needed for anything to function. After all a 7100 doesn't have one and has all the actual needed  safety switches except brake . So I tore the tractor down spent a day studying my diagram and tractor . Next day 4 hours later and new dash safety switches and bam wired like a 7100 . Neutral safety front and rear pto safety for start. Wired the seat safety switch light into the key start position to confirm ignition is attempting to start the tractor. Light comes on and tractor doesn't start I know I have an safety switch problem. Also eliminated the double solonoid BS. Still not sure the point of that one. 

Best yet, us "old school" guys with no seat nanny (from the factory, not knowingly disabled) get a Sovereign with a seat nanny and completely forget it exists.  Cutting grass and jump off to move something in the way, you are a step away when you realize the tractor is shutting down.  WTH is this about?  Suddenly it dawns upon you:  newer version, seat nanny!  Almost completely stopped, but because you have such a great mind and lightning fast reflexes, you quickly push down on the seat with your hand.  The muffler does not like that, trust me on this.  Specifically, the end cap of the muffler does not like that.  And, my heart did not like it much either.  Bang!! is a slight understatement.............   Muffler had some surgery and then we talked about it, and agreed; seat nanny eliminated from the loop.  We are much happier now.

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, MARK (LI) said:

It really doesn't  take a lot to figure out how to use the equipment and make use of the safety features

Yes, but "making use" of those features often requires growing a third arm & hand to use them while doing what you need to do!

Edited by Hick

I agree with Brett, the seat nanny is the worst. Prime example, my Dad bought a new NH Workmaster 65 with a QA loader. That machine came with a seat nanny,. Well driving on our farms bumpy roads with spring assisted seat, the the seat nanny was so sensitive that the machine would stall and not restart with every bump. Called NH dealer, they came out and bypassed the seat nanny for him. Apparently, there is a common issue with this style of seat nanny with a spring assisted seat and that NH knows about  it and they simply state to bypass it. Go figure.

• Like 1