Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Command valve cover gaskets

tripleguy

Seeing a bit of oil seepage at valve covers on 1990 Kohler Command 18 HP (OHV). My model and serial #s aren't visible on the engine so does anyone have a part#?? Mine currently has the fiber gaskets. I'm seeing round tubular rubber ones, but they must be for newer engines. Looking for the original fiber gaskets. Thx.

I wish you well in finding them.  There have been at least three gasket & cover updates on the coveted Command engine.  Original was what you have.  There are brown & yellow versions as well that use a different cover.  & the fact that some covers have metal inserts in the bolt holes & some have slits cut in the corners of the bolt holes.  I'm guessing you are going to have to purchase new covers with new gaskets to whatever the latest & greatest flavor for them are.  

Or you can buy the polished aluminum covers with O-Rings from Zach Kerber Machine or the ones sold by Midwest Super Cub.

Well that's disappointing. Mine aren't torn up, just old. I wonder if a thin coat of Form A Gasket?on top of the old ones will be enough for now?

I just bought a new valve cover for my Command . Whatever the new gasket is good flipping luck I tried and tried to install it and no success. Dealer tried to install them on the cover for me and no success. I finally asked if they had an old style gasket and they did and it worked beautiful. This should be the part you want if it'll work. Even with new cover you want this gasket. Now I can't remember what year command I had except it came out of a Cub series 2000 made by MTD . If all else fails by permatex  Right Stuff one min black gasket maker. It's best silicone I've ever seen weve used it at the race track on a cracked block to get us by for the night. Good luck and God bless!

IMG_20210316_202149.jpg

IMG_20210316_202609.jpg

Edited by hurleyii
Another pic.

The last Command valve cover I replaced was in 2014 when I converted an NOS SunStar spec engine to the Sovereign spec.  I removed the valve cover fuel pump and replaced it with a valve cover with oil fill.  The valve cover kit was Kohler part #24 755 140-S.  Here's a pic of the valve covers side by side:

IMG_8351.thumb.JPG.e48ba28eabd2a2808d4fd9544387584b.JPG

The new valve cover with oil fill is on the right. Note the new style improved yellow o-ring gasket and attached bolt spacers vs the original black o-ring gasket with loose spacers (not shown) on the valve cover with the fuel pump. The newer style shouldn't leak as easily as the old.

Here's the install instructions that came with the valve cover kit:

image.thumb.png.3a8db9fd23ffb25424b42677e0853e58.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Here's the install instructions that came with the valve cover kit:

Bill, is there anything you don't have documentation, knowledge and pictures for?  I mean, you don't happen to have specs for the landing pad support bracket, ladder leg, for the Lunar Module (early version) anchor bolt assembly, with oversized pivot bearing, do you?  I was kinda looking for that part number.................

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Brettw said:

I mean, you don't happen to have specs for the landing pad support bracket, ladder leg, for the Lunar Module (early version) 

No, didn't have access to that.  

But I do have access to this nameplate:

6052cb72d9fb6_KHModelY-2Nameplate.JPG.9630bcd88a994cf28c340f027f997313.JPG

6052cb715f965_Kaiser-HammondY2_FlyingMag46Dec.JPG.afecc715a608be53374ae9f2daffa002.JPG

I"ll did around some with my sources and see if I can find anything on that support bracket. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You should try replacing gaskets on a Courage! And, the system may well work for the Command. Kohler will sell a gasket for the Courage, you put it on according to instructions, and it is guaranteed to leak! Then, after the initial attempt, you search service bulletins that tell you to not use a gasket, but to use red permatex gasket maker, liberally. They are serious. I do not like the silicone gasket sealants, so do not have in the shop...trip to town. 

Try a very liberal bead of red Permatex sealer and install sealer according to instructions, letting it skim over, then install. I would use the original gasket, as I had to do on the Courage, and butter it up, LIBERALLY, put it back together, and allow it time to set per tube instructions before starting the engine