Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Command Repower Question

Mike

As I am preparing to repower my Soveriegn ( triad) and trying to decide which motor to use I have a question, Wouldn't it be smart to use a command with efi?

• Mike changed the title to Command Repower Question
3 hours ago, Mike said:

As I am preparing to repower my Soveriegn ( triad) and trying to decide which motor to use I have a question, Wouldn't it be smart to use a command with efi?

The question is why when a Carb works perfectly. I mean I considered it years ago but 1,000 extra dollars .... Doesn't make sense. Not to mention all the sensors needed for it to run. Just more things to go wrong.

• Like 2

Mike, if you're buying a new kit, then I think you could go a number of directions.  If you are using a used engine, I would pick whatever is the best available, keeping price in consideration.  If you have a good deal on a EFI Command, absolutely put it in.  Me?  I would take a good clean M18 or M20 before any of the other options, but they are few and far between.  The only thing I might recommend against, is a used tired Triad.........666

Doesn't the efi eliminate the choke, A guy on craigs has 3 new efi commands for 1500, 19hp with cold weather kits.

A kit with a vanguard from sew is that much

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Doesn't the efi eliminate the choke

I still don't see the point. I mean I have a Legacy muffler that has a flipping 02 sensor.  I mean seriously. 

I see absolutely no point in it. With a carb you have a simple diagnostic. 

Option 1

1. Check spark. 

2. Have spark .. spray starting fluid or dump gas in carb. 

3. Well it started, guess I have a carb issue or not getting gas.

Option 2.

1. Don't check spark.

2. Spray starting fluid or dump gas.

3. No start ... Guess I have a spark issue.

6 hours ago, hurleyii said:

I see absolutely no point in it. With a carb you have a simple diagnostic. 

I can see your point........to a degree.  I have had many a tractor with both spark and fuel and they do not necessarily start or run well.  Compression?  Timing? Or, rebuild the carb, still runs like crap, adjust idle or high speed, they seem to fight each other, fight with fuel related issues, and they still run poorly.  Carbs, when right, are simple and effective.  But, they can be quite problematic if tired or out of adjustment.  My point?  I am old enough to remember getting up for work, it's around zero outside, and you think:  I wonder if the car will start this morning.  Literally a 50/50 crap shoot.  Today?  20 below zero and the car ALWAYS starts and runs like a top, in regard to fuel.  EFI tractor engine?  Same principle.   In my humble opinion.

Is it worth the expense and inability to tinker with it?  That is another question.

• Like 1

I think Brett has a substantial part of the answer to Harley's question.

Why EFI?

Answer: Power, functionality, efficiency, emissions.  Have to trade-off increased $$ and hassle against the benefits for the individual buyer.

I don’t know I guess. We had carbs in my parents cars as a kid and never remember a problem anymore in the cold then the warm. If it was super cold 3 pumps of the accelerator and good to go. 
I had an EFI truck that ran great one day I started it and it redlines instantly. Was 1988 ranger took 2 months to finally just decided to do a shotgun diagnosis of air temp sensor.  Replaced with a new 10.00 part and ran great again. But we did everything trying to find the problem. Had the intake shaved and all. 

I will say I like my single adjustment carbs better then the high amd low idle adjustment carbs. 

I agree that having a carb is easier for us to fix ourselves but sometimes you get tired of fiddling with the things. My Suzuki motorcycle has dual carbs that I have to constantly tune. Lean the pilot jets in the summer then enrich in the fall. Every 2 years pull the tank off, set up a pony tank to run the bike to set high and low carb synchronization. My brother in law has a 99 Harley with fuel injection and has never done anything to it. Starts every spring without hesitation. My carb’d Suzuki, it takes a bit to get running. 

When I was younger it didn’t bother me, the older I get not so much.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rbstuartjr said:

I hear ya. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rbstuartjr said:

There’s some truth to that. Dual carbs flip that !

I worked on one car like that for 3 days finally told my buddy its 300.00 car time to junk it there’s more vacuum lines then I can count there’s no way I’m gonna get this thing together right!

The 1500.00 vanguard kit from SEW comes with everything you need,  pretty much a two hour plug and play install. The vanguard is a good engine, easy to work on and parts are easy to get.

Hello, Make sure you save the mounting plate on the triad engine  . It may not be needed on the command engine . 

it would be needed for a briggs  or harbor freight  predator 22 HP engine . if you don't need the plate it it can be sold for $50 

I have repowered  2 sovereigns, 1 with a 16 Hp briggs and, 1 with the predator 22 HP engine 

Thanks Ken in Mi

16hpbriggs1.jpg.1933bed29d5bfc37837a36317152b584.jpg

Edited by maxwood