Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hurleyii

So I got a question guysand gals ,not important.

hurleyii

So I picked up a 917H Duetz . I bought it for the PS (assist) and the carb for my M20. In doing my 7117 and giving it the Modern hood slope, I needed to find the bolt location for the hood and all mine are extremely worn. 

So my question is . How could a KT17 series 2 blow up before the paint even came off the frame for the hood bolt holes. 

Talntedmrgreen

Low oil, or being run with (common) gas in the oil for an extended time are culprits I have seen.  I just picked up a GTH-L like Bills, for some donor parts.  Yet again, I forgot to shut the fuel off after looking it over and running at pick up....get home to a crankcase full of gas contaminated oil.  Good news is, I knew it immediately and still have a very good running KT that I will be selling.

SmilinSam

Well, I blew up one I had doing extended  moiwng on steep roadbanks. Mowed parralell to the road with one jug or the other on the high side depending on which direction  I was going.  If I remember right ( and I may not be) when I tore it down to see what broke, I found the oil pick up on these to not be centered in the block between the jugs. . It was offset to one jug. My opinion was hat if the bank(like I was mowing) was steep enough the oil pick up could end up being out of the oil when on the high side.Oil starvation as such was my opinion on why.

See alot of Deere 317's and Cub Cadets using the same engine mounted in the tractors the same way with blown up KT's.  Not so much with the Wheel Horse 417's, which mount their engine in the tractor with the jugs inline with the frame.

hurleyii
1 hour ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

, I forgot to shut the fuel off after looking it over and running at pick up....get home to a crankcase full of gas contaminated oil. 

Now your making me nervous. I never shut fuel off on my K series and on my new Brig's vanguard I did for awhile but I've quit, and it does have its own shut off. I also don't on my Command in my Agco. 

SmilinSam
1 hour ago, CarlH said:

IIRC there was something different about lube system between KT's and Magnum twins.  Maybe splash versus pressure lubrication? dz

I think the KT series 1 engines were a "pressurized spray" system, while the KT series 2 engines were a full pressure lube system. The one that died on me mowing road banks was a series 2 engine. The magnum twins were also a full pressure lube  and with an oil filter.

GWGAllisfan

Series 2 is supposed to be full pressure lube.

I personally thing the small sump and the offset oil pump pick up is a design flaw, but there were likely reasons for it.

I asked one time and I was told it was best to mow inclines down and to the right, to keep oil in the pick-up. I can't remember who told me that, though

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/50732-kohler-kt17-question/?tab=comments#comment-50735

Found it

Edited by GWGAllisfan

hurleyii

Based on oil build up on engine either it was a defective engine or repower do to not changing the oil when it was new. Dealer could tell and voided the warranty.and they put in a used. Engine is solid oil block.