Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Command Starter Relay Kit

Bill725

In an earlier post I mentioned on both of my late model re -powered Sovereigns with Commands, I would get a delayed start after turning the key. I was informed the Command starters are touchy to small voltage drops in the safety circuit wiring to the starter solenoid. I had this issue on my Legacy XL and installed the Simplicity Starter Relay Kit, P/N 1686945. I purchased two kits, they came in the mail today and I was able to install one. The kit is plug and play. I am happy to report there is now a nice crisp start upon turning the key.

20210326_160337.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ouch!  PN 1686945 is kinda salty.  I think BLT had a post on using a common automotive relay to solve that problem.  Might not be plug & play but easier on the pocketbook.  I use those relays frequently on garden tractor projects.

Here are the necessary pieces:

20210327_172938.jpg

Bosch/DIN style 5 pin automotive relay.

20210327_173115.jpg

Has a circuit diagram on top (and pigtail sockets are available).  NB:sm03 I don't really believe they will handle 30A+ continuously.

20210327_173648.jpg

Automotive relay tester and an On/Off dummy relay.

If you are an electrical whiz you will see that the relay has Normally Open (NO - 87) and Normally Closed (NC - 87a) pins.  Correctly wired it can be actuated either by grounding a pin (85/86) or by applying 12 VDC to a pin (86/85).