Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Military Armored Cletrac

Hick

Thats pretty nifty.

Local craigslist a while back had someone selling  a couple of non running high speed artillery tractors from the same era.

Years ago there was a guy in Aledo Illinois that had a tiling machine built on a 40's Stuart tank chasis. 

Tanks from WW2 are big bucks. I like watching the youtube vids of the collectors who rebuild them after pulling them out of lakes, bogs and barns all over Europe.

• Like 1

"ran when parked in 1951" That's a pretty cool everyone needs one thingy. Or at least the army thought they needed one.

Looks like a jack of all trades machine - aux generator, wench (for partying), and whatever they mounted on that rack on the back - maybe a compressor? This looks like an engineer supply train engine. I can envision a string of wagons loaded with tools and bridge materials.

I did a little research - looks like an aircraft tug. Makes sense in the WWII remote airfields. Generator for starting power seems standard in pix I saw. Can tow around planes or cargo trailers, welders, parts. 

Cletrac (Cleveland Tractor Company) was absorbed/acquired by Oliver in the 50's/60's.  Was more or less an independent division for 'tracked' tractors until Oliver/White got out of that business.

My grandfather had a 1944 Cletrac that he bought new. It was sitting on our farm inoperable. So, about 10 years ago we donated it to the local VFW and they painted it army green and put it out in front of their post. They are cool tractors, btw.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 7:35 AM, CarlH said:

Cletrac (Cleveland Tractor Company) was absorbed/acquired by Oliver in the 50's/60's. 

"Wench (for partying)"...oops, I meant WINCH (for removing foot from mouth).

Actually, I can't seem to resist misspelling that word since I have seen it so often. Terminology also applies to someone who can get muddy helping you WINCH yourself out of a hole.

On 3/28/2021 at 8:43 AM, AC710 said:

"Wench (for partying)"...oops, I meant WINCH (for removing foot from mouth).

We see it all the time.  It's amazing how many wench's are into off-roading, and mudding, and 4 wheelers.  A Wench is supposed to: Bring me more Ale!, ya scurvy Wench!  Winches are for pulling, Wench's are for ale. 666

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hick said:

HOLY MOLY!!
Went for $6050!!
A bit out of my price range for yet another project.

Well, the lucky buyer will probably have $60,500, or $605,000 into it if they expect to get it running. Lots of cleanup and paint would make it into a nice display piece.

• Like 1