Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

At least it’s not another tractor

Chris727

A friend sent this home with me a week ago. Have been watching for one of these locally for quite a while now. 

4C2A5661-0B74-4F5F-AD28-4E7CC010E5F5.jpeg.4e0c4bf72a60fccb55ac9f1748d9ea2a.jpeg

8172D629-13E2-4117-B0D4-46C3034A822F.jpeg.5ada18432df1e88a35549b5448e79f4c.jpeg

I had since figured out that I had it upside down. I’ll give it a little TLC. What do you guys use in your rollers for weight? Not sure I want to use water. Was thinking possibly Sand or waste oil. 

• Like 2

You sure got that at the right time of year!  I've never owned one but had a friend that had pea gravel in his.

• Like 1

I have one full of sand. The advantage of water is that you can empty it and store it more easily. I just have a spot to park mine full in the off season. 

• Like 2

I would be careful with waste oil...if it leaks out it would be a mess and kill whatever vegetation it impacts.....water is probably best...easiest to get in and out without any special effort...sand would take some time to get it all in...and tough to get it out if you wanted to

55 minutes ago, SmilinSam said:

I have only ever seen one of those  up close, and it was rusted out.

To be honest I don’t know if it leaks yet. It has been welded on previously and has a couple of big dents. 

@Chris727 Said: "At least it’s not another tractor"

Do you have enough tractors to satisfy the "each attachment must have it's own tractor" rule?

A very nice gift.  

3 hours ago, simplewrench said:

The advantage of water is that you can empty it and store it more easily.

But don't forget to empty it in the winter.  My neighbor forgot and repairs were needed.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MARK (LI) said:

I would be careful with waste oil

And oil weighs less than an equivalent volume of water.    

Now if you used mercury, that would definitely flatten your lawn.  

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, PhanDad said:

@Chris727 Said: "At least it’s not another tractor"

Do you have enough tractors to satisfy the "each attachment must have it's own tractor" rule?

A very nice gift.  

But don't forget to empty it in the winter.  My neighbor forgot and repairs were needed.  

As far as that rule goes, there are about 54 attachments by a quick count, only 40 something “complete enough” tractors. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I made one in the early 80s out of an old electric water heater tank and filled it with concrete. It's still going too. And no I haven't dedicated a tractor to it . Is that cheating?

• Like 3

I made one from an old hot water tank. I fill and drain with water. Drained, it is easier to move for storage and if it ever needs repair it is a a whole lot easier to weld if it is empty. I also have a ride on roller for my Wards/Simplicity walk behind but have never used it. And I have a Simplicity roller like your's except it is smaller and I believe originally was for the early small frame tractors.

• Like 1