Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

This may not be the right spot

Ronald Hribar

There is often a discussion on how to make a tracked vehicle out of a garden tractor.
I think the most difficult part is how to steer it.

I just saw a Skag ride behind mower.

the steering is done by a brake band that is mounted on a Peerless transmission

That looks the same as on a garden tractor

if you turn steering right 

right brake band is engaged

You could do the same thing with a Sunstar and the dual brake setup on its hydro transmission. Just would need the parts to setup the track system to make a Sunstar Dozer.

14 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

You could do the same thing with a Sunstar and the dual brake setup on its hydro transmission. Just would need the parts to setup the track system to make a Sunstar Dozer.

Was actually thinking this myself a couple weeks ago. With a 2 sp. Rear axle and dual brakes think it would be real easy to make a Duetz dozer.!

Some thing I have neve understood about the Sunstar dual brakes.  The one's I had at least, would return the hydro control back to the neutral position when you applied the brakes.  So I never understood how that was supposed to help in turning, as in most tractors with dual brakes?

1 hour ago, Brettw said:

Some thing I have neve understood about the Sunstar dual brakes.  The one's I had at least, would return the hydro control back to the neutral position when you applied the brakes.  So I never understood how that was supposed to help in turning, as in most tractors with dual brakes?

Mine does not return the lever to neutral. However, mine was originally a single brake pedal version that I converted over to the 2 pedal system. I dont remember if I chnaged anything in respect to the neutral or not.  In any case, the brakes can be set up to run without affecting the hydro control.

Helping to steer with the brakes does make a difference when pulling a box blade and the front end wants to slide rather than turn.

Both dual and single pedal brake Sunstars (from the factory) return to neutral when the brakes are applied.  It is simple to disable by removing  a link or two ( depending on which setup).  I think it is a safety nanny thing.

4 hours ago, CarlH said:

Both dual and single pedal brake Sunstars (from the factory) return to neutral when the brakes are applied.  It is simple to disable by removing  a link or two ( depending on which setup).  I think it is a safety nanny thing.

I do get the safety nanny thing.  My point was, everyone talks about brake steering and I couldn't see how it works on the Sunstars.  It appears as though there is the need to remove the nanny, but what in the world was the reason for the dual brakes if they are, in essence, useless as a steering aid?  I understand how and why you can assist in steering using the brakes.  Used it often on the farm tractors in tight turning.

20 hours ago, CarlH said:

If brakes are properly adjusted you can use both pedals at low speeds. The more pedal applied the more it returns to neutral. I use the dual brakes on my Agco 1920 mowing around tight spots. Does t do a lot and there's a very short window between dragging the tire and actually affecting the turn. I do however have the big turf tires offered from dealership. However my Duetz project I hope to be working on again shortly will have hydro pedal control. I'm hoping I can make room for the dual brakes to be functional on the left side of the tractor with the loader . Not sure of deeded space yet though . The nanny back to neutral has already been redesigned and is now mounted just behind the hydro itself. However it is a very tight fit for the hydro to get in and out now though.

Edited by hurleyii
More info
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, hurleyii said:

If brakes are properly adjusted you can use both pedals at low speeds.

I was checking it out and figured out MY problem was the (small) dual pedals didn't work well with my size 14 shoes. dz  A human factors issue for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, CarlH said:

I was checking it out and figured out MY problem was the (small) dual pedals didn't work well with my size 14 shoes. dz  A human factors issue for me.

That's what she said!