Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cjdavia

Too much grease on simplicity arbors?

cjdavia

Hi all,

I have a 2013 Simplicity Broadmoor and just replaced the spindles and bearings for all three blades. I used the foam gasket and even RTV'd one of them for fun.

I pumped them all full of grease.  Maybe too full?

I see grease starting to ooze out from the unused holes between the two halves of the arbor onto the mower deck... all three of them. 

Did I eff this up?  I really don't want to do this all over again!

Thank you,

Chris

PhanDad

Simplicity Guru Al Eden's March 17,2012 comment on "new" style arbors and grease:

"Hi, These arbors have sealed bearings. Grease cannot get in them like the old tube arbor Landlords of the 60s. They have grease put in them at the factory, a ball about the size of a walnut. When these arbors came out, I called the factory and accused them of fraud. They said the bearings would last longer. I said it was phony advertising to say they had greaseable arbors. In a couple of years I had to eat my words and I called back and apologized. What happens is the two piece arbors are prone to get water in them. When they are assembled, silicone sealer is added between the top and bottom pieces. When this water gets in and lays on the top of the bottom bearing, the bearing hub rusts and the water goes by the seal. The layer of grease above this bearing keeps the water away from the bearing and the bearing hub from rusting. The bearings last a lot longer. I tell my customers to give them about 3 pumps about twice a year. If you go overboard, eventually the housing will be full of grease and you will push the seal into the bearing and push the 2 halves of the housing apart. In the early decks with the tube arbors, the bearings had seals only on the outside and a grease fitting in the tube. When properly greased they lasted forever, but the if a little is good a lot is better people, greased them until the pushed the grease seals out and all of the grease fell on the ground, resulting in a warranty claim. Replacing these with sealed bearings and taking the grease fitting out solved the excessive warranty claims, but the sealed bearings didn't last as long as the original design with proper greasing, but was better than the over greasing situation. Also note that the 2 piece splined shaft arbors often have up to 1/8 inch of more of up and down slack. This is not abnormal, so don't panic, Al Eden"

• Like 1