Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC B10 Steering wheel cap

Addicted2Breathing

Morning everyone, long story short is I am attempting to pull the fuel tank to replace all the fuel lines but in order to get at everything I want to remove the steering wheel. However I am literally being held hostage by a simple stuck cap. How do you remove the cap from the steering wheel without damaging it? I have tried giving it some little taps here and there along with attempting to pry it up and it will not budge.

AC steering cap.jpg

Fuel lines.  Take off side panel, should be able to get to everything then.  I pull my hood all the time without removing steering wheel.  The 4 bolts, then side it forward, off it comes.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 11:21 AM, GregB said:

Fuel lines.  Take off side panel, should be able to get to everything then.  I pull my hood all the time without removing steering wheel.  The 4 bolts, then side it forward, off it comes.

Side panel? What side panel?

11 minutes ago, Addicted2Breathing said:

Side panel? What side panel?

Unless your tractor has Hyrolift, there should be a side panel on each side of the tractor.  One on the battery side & one on the fuel tank side.  What @GregB is referring to is the removal of the side panel on the left side or fuel tank side,  The petcock for the fuel tank where the fuel line connects is accessible if that panel is removed.  The steering wheel is shaped like it is to facilitate the removal of the battery & the fuel tank without being removed.  Simply turn it all the way to the right & there is room to remove the fuel tank & turn it all the way to the left to remove the battery.  

To answer your original question about removing the cap, that is a pretty stout piece of steel & can take a pretty good blow without damage.  I use a blunt ended punch & a hammer alternating sides to tap it up & off.  Then there is a set screw on a key that needs to be loosened before using a small two or three jaw puller to remove the wheel itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the cap off and the side panel off, redid all of the fuel lines, replaced the carb (again) and finally got the thing up and running. Found out my choice in fuel filter was half of my issue trying to get the thing running and keep it running. Never crossed my mind that there are lawn tractors with fuel pumps....