Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416 H Front End

Horvik

Hello;

How often should  a guy clean, repack and adjust the front end bearings on this tractor? Also advice on how you do it is appreciated.

Thanks

Do yourself a favor and replace the bearing caps with bearing buddies. 21 years and never had my front wheels off to replace or repack bearings.

IMO, how often depends on it the front wheels see water (tractor routinely outside in rain) or does winter duty where heating from exhaust warms the left wheel and when it cools it will tend to suck water into the hub.

As to how you do it, I remove the dust cap, lock collar, spacers, wheel, bearings, and inner seal.  I clean the old grease (and any water) out of the hub and off the dust cap, lock collar, spacers, and seal.  Then I let them dry thoroughly.  

With the bearings, I first wipe away all the grease I can.  Then, even though it's a no-no, I clean the bearings with gas to remove all the remaining grease (I use a cutdown old metal peanut can to minimize volume).  Then I rinse the cleaned bearing with acetone (another no-no).  After drying I repack the bearing by placing it in the palm of my left hand and push grease into the bearing while rotating it until it's "full".  

For reassembly, I put a light coating of grease throughout the hub (inside too), put the inner bearing in the hub and fill the annular space above the bearing so that it's full of grease when it contacts the spacer and inner seal.  Install the outer bearing, spacer, and lock collar and fill it with as much grease as possible, then install the dust cap.  Or invest in a Bearing Buddy as @Bill725 suggests to replace the dust cap.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PhanDad said:

IMO, how often depends on it the front wheels see water (tractor routinely outside in rain) or does winter duty where heating from exhaust warms the left wheel and when it cools it will tend to suck water into the hub.

As to how you do it, I remove the dust cap, lock collar, spacers, wheel, bearings, and inner seal.  I clean the old grease (and any water) out of the hub and off the dust cap, lock collar, spacers, and seal.  Then I let them dry thoroughly.  

With the bearings, I first wipe away all the grease I can.  Then, even though it's a no-no, I clean the bearings with gas to remove all the remaining grease (I use a cutdown old metal peanut can to minimize volume).  Then I rinse the cleaned bearing with acetone (another no-no).   Or invest in a Bearing Buddy as @Bill725 suggests to replace the dust cap.  

Why is it a no no to do these things. I have done these things my whole life with cars and anything else that's a bearing needing service?