Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6116 belt problem cured

lboy1971

The dividend to customer loyalty it seems, is good service. Or is it the other way around???

Found out why the mower deck belt didn't fit on my 6116. I went to the local simplicity dealer, even called before I went to tell him what I had and wanted. He charged me for a 126" belt that I needed, but gave me a 120" belt for a 42" mower deck instead of the 48" that I have. I got curious so looked up the belt number on this site and found the error. He exchanged it today with no hassles, which was nice of him. I'm only out a 40 mile round trip and about 30 minutes of messing with putting that other belt on then taking it off again. This is the second time I've bought new parts from the same dealer and the second time he gave me the wrong parts, lol. So much for paying a little extra for better service.

Been down that road. That's why it's a good idea to have parts manuals for owned equipment, and to deal with our sponsors.

Dutch: That is so true. It gets old hearing uninterested dealers exclaim about how old your tractor is, how they're not sure, how they'll have to order it. If I wanted to educate "professionals" I'd have gotten a teaching certification. And, as I've previously related, being ignored while waiting in line to get the wrong belts, more than once, is an experience that stays with a person. Sandy Lake Implements (the only sponsor I've used, so far) is a breath of fresh air. Peter

Interesting experience In 1975 I went to my local simplicity dealer to buy a tractor. That day him and his son wern't getting along to good and i guess he didn't want to take the time to talk with me. So I went up the road and bought a new Bolens not my first choice but i wanted a tractor. When the simplicity dealer found out i bought the Bolens he asked why I told him because he couldn't be bothered with me when i was there. A little over a year and a half i was talking to him he asked me if i was happy with my bolens. Just so happens that the Bolens was at the dealers for a recall. I told him i wasn't. He said I have a deal for you. I traded for a 1977 7016 with blower mower wheel weights. He allowed me more for the Bolens than i had paid for it and the selling price for the simplicity was at cost. In 1985 i traded for my 7790 diesel got a nother terrific deal. To this day when i walk in I get treated real nice and I think it was because I let him know how I felt to begin with. His son runs the dealer ship now. If You don't like some ones service tell them. PERFERABLY the owner This & $1.00 might get you a small coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I went in to an auto parts store a few years back to buy a thermostat for my car. When the clerk brought out the part, I opened the box and looked at it, then told him to take it back and get the right part. It was marked 195 on the box (what I asked for), but the thermostat was marked 180. The clerk went off and started giving me a bunch of crap about knowing more than he did. I asked to see the owner. He came out ready to take the side of the clerk till I showed him the marking on the part. I was given the correct part and ever since then they all know me and treat me very well. I have returned parts and had warranties honored without a receipt, and always get excellent service. Sometimes it pays to speak up for yourself. Rod H.

Got to second Peters satisfied Sandy Lake custormer list. My 725 parts were waiting for me Monday when I got home from my 900 mile trip around the interior Alaska triangle. Same parts two dealers in Fairbanks told me can no longer be had. Service with a capital S. MPH

Ithink a couple of enterprising fairing young men could run that Simplicity dealer in Westfield,Wi. right out of bussiness if they opened thier own shop.I for one am getting tired of people looking my old faithful landlord and Allis and thinking that I'm the nut for tring to keep the faith and use something that really works rather then spend two or three grand to buy a brand spanking new class A piece of junk LAWN TRACTOR. I did once buy a new machine,never never again will I be so stupid.My old iron does very well for me.When I finish restoring my landlord those smart guys can kiss my you know what!!! LONG LIVE SIMPLICITY