Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire question

dhoadley

This is in regards to my A/C 917H. I have quite the hill to navigate when cutting grass. Turf tires with tire weights weren't doing it. I decide to try ags, which helped quite a bit, but tore up the yard beyond my level of tolerance. The ags are loaded and I'm going to keep them mounted for snow removal use, so I need a second set of rears. I'll load these as well and use the tire weights. I have a set of 23 x 8.5-12 on rims. I have one tire only 23 x 10.5-12. I have a source for the rims (thanks, Moussa) but would still need 1 tire. The question is, do I go with the 8.5s I have on hand or put together a set of 10.5s? Thanx, Dave

I have had same issue on road banks at the farm. The damp grass makes the std turfs greasy and end up fish tailing. I have gone to more of aggressive turf tire with good results mowing and blowing snow. They don’t mark up the lawn at all. I only run 6psi in them to help the traction.

B3D6EBC8-80B8-4AA6-A729-1A2B18853DA4.jpeg

C33CCD14-2334-44EC-BD00-DB0CDE74D14D.jpeg

• Like 2

Good looking rubber. Look a bit more aggressive then standard turf tires but not so much as to rip up the lawn. Nice selection!

• Like 1

I have had this issue a lot. I live on a hill it's not awful but it's sandy soil so it doesn't take much to collapse. I tried aggs as that's what Grass Hoper recommends for sand. I was very disappointed as they only made the problem worse. They where 8.5. I switched to a set of 10.5 wide std turf tires and it was a huge benifit above the aggs. Also added about 75lbs per wheel. This was on a Sunstar. Mowing the hill in the less maintained area was still rough and the less rain we got the worse the problem became. Picked up a Ago with the 12.5 wide tire and they are amazing. Almost zero slide and no added wheight. Fyi my wife (ex) would disagree with that last statement. Lol 

I suggest going with a set of wheels from a Cub Cadet super garden tractor . They are wider wheels for a 12" tire and then get the upgraded turf tires for std Agco 1920.  Reason I say Cub Cadet wheels from the super is they have correct offset for the Sovereign series. I borrowed my dad's and found out they wouldn't work on a Sunstar but where correct for the Sovereign. 

• Like 1

One thing I have noticed without question, 26-12-12 turfs make an incredible difference in traction and stability.  I am not sure of your hill and the issues, but any of my Sovereign's with a set of them performs magnitudes better.  You do have to find the correct set of wheels, or spacers so they don't interfere with the cone clutch or other issues, but the setup will make you a believer.  Oh and tire pressure.  maybe 12 #'s max.  Some run way to much pressure in these and they aren't designed to be inflated like that.

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 2

I decided to go with the 10.5s. The 1 tire I have is a Carlisle TurfSaver, so I ordered up a second one. A little pricey but they'll match. Thanks for the input. I'll report back on how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

A new tire question, this time regarding my 707 Broadmoor. I had loaded turf tires, but one sprung a leak. This is the remaining loaded tire.

IMG_20210417_132459200.thumb.jpg.3f5b6c82297c466de97aa5badb2e327a.jpg

IMG_20210417_173942824_HDR.thumb.jpg.9348d847c520289ba472012017c078e8.jpg

I had another one of these that looked ok, but it leaked down during a lunch break. I have 2 more that look pretty good, but they're mounted on a different kind of rim that is for my 728 Broadmoor. I hope to resurrect that someday, as I prefer the 3 speed trans for mowing. These tires are NLA. Would you scavenge one of those 2 or go with a  modern close-as-I-can-get one, such as this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/qty1-18X9-50-8-4ply-P512-Lawn-Mowers-Garden-wheel-tubeless-tire-1040Lbs-PSI-24/133726833646?hash=item1f22bd8bee:g:f6YAAOSwNfBgeJRz

Thanx, Dave

Edited by dhoadley

This is what I have found works great in both summer lawn mowing (with steep hills and sketchy sod) and winter snowblower work.   They turn without tearing up the lawn and will turn on ice.   The rears give fantastic traction.

Fronts are Hi-Run and the backs are Carlisle All Trail (23-10.5-12)

I do run chains on the back for winter.

P1020504.JPG

P1020505.JPG

• Like 2