Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
720nut

Early AGCO Allis

720nut

anyone have any issues with front axle on 2wd Legacy's, mine was good and all of a sudden now I have to chase it when going on flat ground . Just considerable amount of movement in front axle and their telling me this so called pin kit is over $200and change. Like to know if anyone has or had this problem and what your fix was , thanks in advance

SmilinSam

The Legacy we put together for my friends dad was bad enough it wore into the casting. Had a machine shop over bore it and put a oversize pin in it. Cost me around $300. The spindles were worn about as bad.  Widened those out myself and put in oversize  OD busings(not fun without the proper tools).. Thenn changed out the heim joint on the steering cylinder....and worked over the steeing wheel mechanism. After all that the steering was way better. In retrospect I should have just junked the tractor out for parts.

You should probably take the time to  disassemble and examine closely all the components involved in the steering system before you go and start repairing one component or another. See what the whole picture is going to look like. Then decide if its worth the time and money.

• Like 2

720nut

Thanks Sam, was sure hoping there might be another choice. I can't believe I'd not seen this coming , I have the tools and machines to make the repairs myself , so will save on any machine costs. I believe my spindles look ok , but then there not apart either. Then as you say will have to decide as to whether it will be worth it.

Just don't want to loose my loader, but on the good side run it till I get my other project done then retrofit it.

Rite now regretting selling both Legacy decks I had or I'd pull loader and sell with a deck.

Maybe time to look at a new Massy Ferguson diesel 4x4 w/ loader and hoe ??

• Like 1

SmilinSam
32 minutes ago, 720nut said:

Maybe time to look at a new Massy Ferguson diesel 4x4 w/ loader and hoe ??

An investment I have never regretted myself on my Kubota BX25D. Rarely take the hoe off. Expensive, but I bought it at the right price at the right time ( 2 things that rarely line up together)

On your legacy, if the steering went" kaplooey" all of a sudden, then I would suspect there is one component that has more problems  than the rest. Built up wear wouldnt just fail like that. I'd look at keyed joints first. The cap that the heim joint is connected to on the spindle would be my first suspect. The second would be the steering wheel assembly.

If you dont find anything critically wrong, it could be the steering valve too I suppose. My knowledge of those is pretty limited though.

720nut

Front axle has considerable movement and guess I just never paid any attention to it, I will check the other things out too