Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wierd Cultivator Shanks?

Jcrotts110

I recently purchased an Allis Chalmers Big Ten, with a 32" tiller, and the rear section of a 2 part cultivator. I got a pile of cultivator shanks with it (about 4 times as many as could realistically be attached and used at one time). I got these wierd ones in the pile that I can not figure our what they are for. They look like a moldboard plow, but they would attach at an EXTREMELY aggressive angle. Has anyone ever seen these or know there purpose?

16179415959916144089195743435793.thumb.jpg.dcd730ba2dfbeb8a511c9f8bace15053.jpg

16179416368101346272674635621653.thumb.jpg.4c4de6063561d7ec6a5302e774a2ad72.jpg

If I am not mistaken Bill; I think the exact opposite is the intent. I believe they are for hilling up a row as the plants grow. My 2 cents worth and I have been wrong before.

• Like 3

Dad had a set for his Allis B but we never used and I never thought to ask him , I tend to agree with Dave might work great on my taters:D

Edited by 720nut
  • Like 2

My guess would be hiller or furrower depending on how you set them up. I had the mid mount cultivators years ago but like a lot of the stuff I had, I gave it away to guys in the club to "hold on to for me until I ever want it back". Which by this point I don't think would be proper to even ask for. I do still have some cultivation implements that I';ll get pics of tomorrow.

• Like 1

Here are the cultivation implements I have. The closest one has the odd shovels at the rear and is set up for a sleeve hitch. The spike harrow has no hitch. 

Second row has three what I would call draw bars. The orange one is set for a sleeve hitch. The middle one has an adjustable link to change draw angle and only has a tab with a hole to draw it by. Far left one is set up as a double kind of like this first one. Notice that the adjustment handles face in opposite directions. I believe one is for a garden tractor and the other is for a walk behind. That way the handle faces the operator.

In the background are some guide wheels and racks of tines, along with some oddball shovels and stuff. Oh yeah, I also found another sleeve hitch in that bin of stuff.

KIMG1070.JPG

Here is a top view of the cultivators. Basic small scale methods would be to set it up where you drive over the row of small plants early so the shovels would be apart and pointed out (swapped left to right) and pass to either side of the seedlings. Later when the plants are bigger you drive down the lane between the rows of crops. Like how it's set up now, with maybe another set of tines at wheel width.

KIMG1071.JPG

Edited by thedaddycat
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 11:17 PM, Jcrotts110 said:

I recently purchased an Allis Chalmers Big Ten, with a 32" tiller, and the rear section of a 2 part cultivator. I got a pile of cultivator shanks with it (about 4 times as many as could realistically be attached and used at one time). I got these wierd ones in the pile that I can not figure our what they are for. They look like a moldboard plow, but they would attach at an EXTREMELY aggressive angle. Has anyone ever seen these or know there purpose?

16179415959916144089195743435793.thumb.jpg.dcd730ba2dfbeb8a511c9f8bace15053.jpg

16179416368101346272674635621653.thumb.jpg.4c4de6063561d7ec6a5302e774a2ad72.jpg

Hillers to create a high row with a small ditch in between each row. Puts the plants higher up for drainage and also concentrates water at the roots from small rains. These were before the disk type came around.

Edited by AC716
  • Like 3

The cultivator I have is the one that hangs from the 3 point with the sliding feet to set depth. I dont have the mid mount portion, I couldn't find it anywhere on the property when I bought what I have. Would I be restricted in anyway on use without the mid attachment since there's not really any offset, other than the couple of inches from offsetting the shanks?

On 4/19/2021 at 9:29 PM, Jcrotts110 said:

The cultivator I have is the one that hangs from the 3 point with the sliding feet to set depth. I dont have the mid mount portion, I couldn't find it anywhere on the property when I bought what I have. Would I be restricted in anyway on use without the mid attachment since there's not really any offset, other than the couple of inches from offsetting the shanks?

A pic would be a big help, as only the bigger tractors used a 3 point hitch. All the ones in my pics are a 1 point or sleeve hitch.

KIMG1106.JPG

Here you can see the spike tine harrow set up to be used. I adjusted the forward arms so that they're now vertical. I used the clean draw bar so I wouldn't have to bust a bunch of rusted bolts loose. In a surprise twist, I actually got to use my 8 point socket set! I mounted the draw bar behind the vertical arms.

In the back is the Putt Putt with the sleeve hitch and box scraper mounted. This is a 1 point hitch. Simplicity made two-wheeled walking tractors before they started making riding garden tractors. Something like this harrow could be easily used on either type. On the implements that had an adjustment mechanism, the handle would be mounted for the type it was being used with. However, that mechanism could also be easily changed from front to rear facing. See my pic above.

Look up Model FC Attachments here, there's some old literature that shows that set up. Notice how high up the draw bar attaches to that type of tractor.

Edited by thedaddycat

KIMG1107.JPG

Here we go folks, a tour through ancient Simplicity history...

This pic shows my batch of cultivator parts. I believe that my mold board plow is  an original Simplicity item, as it has the hitch and pin (pin may not be OEM) that would attach without a sleeve hitch. I have the parts to make up a coulter for that plow.

KIMG1108.JPG

Here's a look at the sweeps set up for early row crop cultivation. Here they angle outward, as you would be driving over the top of the row. I've also laid out the large shovels to show how you could make hills/furrows with these kinds of implements. 

Remember, this stuff was just coming to market in the early 1960's. If you did "truck farming" or that sort of market supply side work, this was life changing at the time. In the 1960's you didn't get fresh produce flown in from across the world on a daily basis. It was locally grown and fresh according to the season.

Edited by thedaddycat
  • Like 2

KIMG1109.JPG

OK folks, everything here is up for grabs. I need a good gas tank for a 725 and a push button starter for same. How can I make your needs fulfilled in a mutually beneficially way?

KIMG1110.JPG

I also have a spare dozer blade with lift rod and yeah the angle adjustment rod for it is in the shed, too.

Edited by thedaddycat

Kirk; the sleeve hitch on your plow is the proper one for the foot dragger tractors and is used with the round bar and lift chain on your tractor.. The one you have on Putt Putt is for a later model running board tractor and the clevis on the upper end of the rod pins to the upper pivot bar of the running board lift group. It does not hook up with a chain and round bar. All your cultivator frames will pin to the early or late model sleeve hitches.

Edited by B10Dave
  • Like 1

KIMG1115.JPG

Here is a close up of my original hitch on the Putt Putt. There is nowhere to put the right angled end of the lift rod for the sleeve hitch, nor is there anywhere to slip a pin through the clevis. I made the rod with the grab hook by grinding down a length of 1" round stock to profile. The pin is rusted in place by now, but the hook swings freely on it. I used a shackle pin through the chain and the clevis pin fits the big part of the shackle. I have to leave one chain link free when hooking up to the grab hook or the hitch binds on the lift rod. You can see where I found out the hard way and bent the lift rod....

If this tractor had the proper rear lift group for this sleeve hitch, the lift rod would be positioned closer to the tractor and most likely would not have hit the rod on the hitch. As it sits on my tractor there is maybe a 30* difference in angle due to the hook being a lot farther out from the tractor.

Edited by thedaddycat