Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower repair

rbstuartjr

So I pulled the snowblower off the Sovereign today. She took a beating this past winter. There is a crack on the left side housing by the skid shoes that I can weld. The metal behind the impeller, under the snow chute has crack as well. It’s the weld spot where the rear tunnel welds to the blower frame. The metal has gotten thin back there. Is it possible to weld/ bolt in in a skin of 18ga sheetmetal there. I am actively looking for a new blower, but they don’t come up very often where I live. Most times it’s a package deal with a tractor and I don’t need anymore tractors . This blower is from the late 70’s and she gets a workout ever time it snows. I blow about 2hrs minimum every storm sometimes more. What do you guys think?

I'd probably try and check the clearance of the auger to the body and see but I'd also be more inclined to weld/patch over the outside of the housing. Either way, it might be a good idea to do a teardown and pull the auger out so you can check out and patch up whatever needs it, including a true-up of the sheet metal and auger fins.

There's not much to them so I don't see any reason you couldn't patch it up and keep it going for a while yet. Maybe throw some new bearings on it while it's apart too. Finish up with some paint and some poly skid shoes and you're good to go.