Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need a coil for a 19D

B-1 Bryan

• 4 months later...

So last fall I found 2 coils that tested out good at Portland and you could imagine my delight. I finally got around to trying to install one and I found that the contacts on the coil are a different radius from the flywheel. Were these coils used on a different Briggs model too? Anybody know?

A3FDF7F2-6203-4DF7-9C1B-8F71915B565E.jpeg

312CE331-C882-4CDE-8F3A-D0F90038F245.jpeg

589FB103-7B0A-4A49-9677-C8B78F924302.jpeg

Yes several different coils and applications. At that time the coils for all of their engines were 3 leg. I believe the primary difference was the length of the wire and the radius for the different sizes of flywheels. May be able to remove the coil core from the legs and swap them out. 

I can’t remember when it was that I did it but I bought a brand new coil core for my 725 off eBay. Just slid the old winding off and put the new one on. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the lead, simplewrench! I found his store, and I did find the listing below, but it does not say it is compatible for a Briggs 19D, which is what I have. Did you have a Briggs 19? I think I’ve read in the past that the two engines use different coils and cannot be interchanged. 

7A466BD7-E23C-403A-B86E-38659938FA49.png

18 minutes ago, B-1 Bryan said:

Did you have a Briggs 19? I think I’ve read in the past that the two engines use different coils and cannot be interchanged

You are correct based on my info as well I have a 19 & a 19D.  The 19D is an external coil & the 19 is internal.

4 hours ago, B-1 Bryan said:

Thanks for the lead, simplewrench! I found his store, and I did find the listing below, but it does not say it is compatible for a Briggs 19D, which is what I have. Did you have a Briggs 19? I think I’ve read in the past that the two engines use different coils and cannot be interchanged. 

7A466BD7-E23C-403A-B86E-38659938FA49.png

That coil nearly fits a Model 9. I bought one, replaced my old coil with this new one. The coil is not as long as the original, and the wire from the coil to the contacts is not long enough to connect to the lug on the engine as it should without modification. Further problem is the "slip Fit" I used my vise to press the core into the new coil. I was able to gently tap the core from the original. I now have FIRE, where I used to have fire. If any of you buy this coil, the new one is 0.122 shorter, so be certain to center it on the core.

As for the 3 legged coil, the coil can be slipped off and a new coil slipped on. Has been many years since I did it, but it is possible. If your coil is bad anyway, experiment. Or, find another dead coil to use. Grinding the core to a different radius also works. Do so carefully, though, taking the least amount off as possible. Good luck!