Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ShaunE

Magnum Re-power From KT

ShaunE

I have a 917 that was re powered many years ago prior to my acquisition.  I know there is a different key switch to be used when doing this based on a conversation I had once with CPD in WI.  I don't believe this was performed in this repower as when it was done, there was a toggle switch added next to the key switch that needs to be in one position to start & run & in another to shut the machine off.  I'd like to eliminate the toggle switch & install the correct key switch. 

Does anyone know the Simplicity or Kohler part # for the switch?  I would think it would be the same switch that was used in the Magnum powered Sunstar tractors.

I know @Brettw & @MikeES have done a few of these.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Brettw

Hey Shaun, what was the 917 repowered with?  The original 917 was a battery ignition system.  The KT17 in it had a coil, and the when in the run position the battery / power circuit provided power to the coil for spark.  When the key was shut off power to the coil was shut off and hence, no more spark.  The magneto type ignition systems on engines generate their own power for spark with the flywheel.  So in order to shut them off you need to ground out the spark to kill the engine.  So one is kill the power to the coil to eliminate spark, and the other is ground the spark out.  Briggs and the Kohler Magnums ground the spark out.  So, there is a relay that can be used with the original switch (Mr. Tiarks can explain this way better than I can) and the other option is a different ignition switch.  A Briggs engine switch will work with the Magnums, if that's the repower.

• Thanks 1

PhanDad
13 minutes ago, Brettw said:

So, there is a relay that can be used with the original switch

Same idea as the extra relay used for the Legacy Command starter issue.  

You use one of @BLT's "magic" relays to ground the M-18 magneto when the ignition key is turned off:

BLTRelayWiring.jpg.c073e789868f5729284c7c52b5c125d3.jpg

(Above is BLT sketch)

When the old KT ignition switch is turned on, instead of sending +12V to the external coil, is energizes the relay which opens the ground path.  

Or as Brett said, swap the ignition switch for a Briggs or Command type.  

• Thanks 1

PhanDad

See this post for discussion of the latest Simplicity magneto ignition switch (#1686734) :

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/65587-ignition-switch-1686734-pin-info-k-series-to-magnum-conversion/

The older 5 pin magneto ignition switch used in "Briggs" engine tractor (Indak key) was #178280 and there are many aftermarket equivalents available.  Since they all look the same, I always check the terminal connections with my multimeter to make sure the switch functions as I expect.  

• Thanks 1

Brettw
23 hours ago, Brettw said:

Hey Shaun, what was the 917 repowered with?

I guess I should read the Title of the post before opening mouth and inserting foot.  With a boot on........

• Haha 1