Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

dhoadley

Tire storage

dhoadley

I'm finishing up loading turf tires for my large and small frame tractors. I have a set of loaded ags for each of them. I would normally store tires on their side, stacking them large to small, pyramid-like. The weight of them makes this seem problematic. What says the collective? Thanx, Dave

Bill725

If you have not already done so, do yourself a favor and replace the wheel lug bolts with grade 8 fully threaded bolts and lug nuts. Use red loktite on the bolts and let set.

dhoadley
On 4/25/2021 at 5:34 AM, Bill725 said:

If you have not already done so, do yourself a favor and replace the wheel lug bolts with grade 8 fully threaded bolts and lug nuts. Use red loktite on the bolts and let set.

I will, thanks for the heads up. I will be switching back to Ags after mowing is over. Will changing back be difficult?

No thoughts on stacking loaded tires 4 high?

Bill725
11 hours ago, dhoadley said:

Will changing back be difficult?

I bought a complete set of tires that were loaded, the chrome wheels on my 2012 show tractor, and as you know they are more difficult to handle. The only tires I have loaded now are the rear tires on my Legacy XL with FEL. That is because I did not get the weight box, which is good because the tractor is shorter with out it. I don't change my loaded tires and I really don't want to. If I had to I would have to not only get the tractor at the correct height with the wheel on the floor but also the correct rotation to stab the wheel with the wheel studs.

Edited by Bill725

PhanDad
2 hours ago, Bill725 said:

I had to I would have to not only get the tractor at the correct height with the wheel on the floor but also the correct rotation to stab the wheel with the wheel studs.

I do this for unloaded tires as well.  Although with them, you can "skid" them a bit to get one of the wheel hub holes lined up with a wheel hole - that's why I prefer the lug bolts rather than studs and bolts.  

Once you get the first bolt started and turned in a bit, you can adjust the floor jack (usually down works best) and get the other holes lined up.  

• Like 1