Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

common parts for AC 300 series and 400 series

PaulAC416

Friends, I have an AC416H that I am excited to rebuild and I am going to start next summer. I see some quite severe rust damaged fender and frame parts. One way to make this an easier rebuild is to buy an AC310 that is being sold as parts locally. As I look at the two frames (310 and 416) they seem from the pictures to be identical. Even seat pan/fender and hood all look to match exactly. But I thought I should ask the experts before I purchase the AC310 .. Any insights are welcome. 

Been a while since I played with those, but  off the top of my head heres a a list of differences I am aware of. It will get the ball rolling.  Anyone in here, please correct me if I am wrong, and add to where I left off.

Unless its a 310D (deluxe) it will have a mechanical PTO /416h has an electric pto

310 has a metal fuel tank/ 416h has plastic tank - dont know if they interchange or not

310 would be a variable speed trans/416 has hydro- this means that (I think) bevel gearboxes will have different cross shafts and will not interchange ?? 

Steering Wheels will be different, and maybe??? steering columns too ?

Hitch spacing for the attachments will be different too I think. Cant remember if they changed them with the change to the 400 series, or partway through the 400 series production. Same thing for the rear lift Inside diameter.

I think most of the tin should interchange, but others in here need to verify that.

• Like 1

Lots of differences as Sam has said. The running boards are different. The dash, cowling, and side panels are totally  different. The fuel tanks do not directly swap, the tank straps attach differently. I have a 416 here and had once parted out a 312d. I do believe the fender pans are pretty close though. Would have to see if they are the same part number. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pretty well covered above. Front axle is different. 400 series had the Hydro, Shuttle, and a 3 speed gear drive available. 300 had the variable and a hydro offered. They look a lot alike at first but they really are a bit changed when 400 series came out, Unless the parts tractor is crazy cheap I would shop for a nice 400 series for parts. Seat pan/deck will interchange so if it is really straight then that might be worth the buy. They get bent up mainly by someone pushing the tractor by hand. 

• Like 3

Many thanks, quite surprising, to the untrained eye they looked so similar. Im going to search for 416H parts machine. 

Edited by PaulAC416
  • Like 1