Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New solution for 7100 front axle pivot bearing

hurleyii

So my OEM front axle bearing came in today. I did a search for a second one on eBay for my other tractors and stumbled on this. So I ordered it. So think I'm going to try and use it instead of the oem. Seems like a much better solution to me. 

Screenshot_20210501-213845.png

Edited by hurleyii
Title
  • Like 3

I have a set of those in cupboard that I was going to use for a tarp roller on a dump truck I had, since sold the truck

Well I see all of us adding grease fittings and making custom bearings when in fact it looks like we've been reinventing the wheel. From what I see it looks to have a lock pin hole. ( Hoping threaded)  I believe I will have to make new mounting holes though. That's all assuming there's enough space for this option. Will see what I decide on it's arrival.

35 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

I can't read the info on the box.

What exactly did you buy?  

Screenshot_20210502-115003.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hurleyii said:

It's going to be a tight fit though!

I'd suggest mounting it on a diagonal to avoid interference with existing bolt holes and give more mounting room.  

IMG_20210505_154234.thumb.jpg.da8823c058b8fec0e643ae5f76c8d724.jpgOk guys the new part came in. 

First the positive.

1.st..   Has 2 locking screws both are on the same side so easy access to secure it to act like a real bearing instead of steel to steel BS.

2nd. It's approximately 1" of surface to ride on axles so major improvement there as it's much tighter then the new factory one.

3. Made In USA. 

Now the negative! 

1.st. It has a 1/4" space in the back which kicks it out to far for it to fit. I believe this is minor as all I need to do is clean factory weld up and it would fit I think. 

2nd. The bearing is in a plastic housing.  This  is major I believe although I know we have plastics strong then steel but I don't know what this is. However this may explain the price difference between this part and others listed online for close to double and more. 

IMG_20210505_154231.jpg

IMG_20210505_155156.jpg

What's the centerline to centerline distance for the mounting holes of the plastic bearing?  Maybe they're standard??

You might want to look for a Timken GVFDT-3/4;  The mounting holes are 2-13/16" CL to CL.  Also the width is 1-11/32" (to collar).  In this application, I wouldn't think you would need the collar since the shaft isn't rotating (just rocking).  Without the collar, the width is 25/32".  

image.thumb.png.5f1d0c67deed6ffead77217b6ca6b0c0.png

There's also the non-greaseable pressed in style that might be good enough (seal, lubed ball bearing);  VFMST-3/4.  Dimensions are similar:  2-13/16" / 1-5/16" / 29/32".  

image.png.a2fe33d40b1ae35d954cf18c68be4486.png

What's the CL to Cl of the frame mounting holes?

That’s good info. I will look into that’s ASAP. Meanwhile until this is figured out tractor is on hold in case I have to do more modifications.