Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

dlkelley713

7117 vs newer Sovereign

dlkelley713

Hey Folks,

Been a while since I dragged info out of you "simple" minded folks!  I have a later <orange> Sovereign with the Sunstrand hydro.  My wife forget to set the brake last fall, so it had a nice collision with a tree once the pressure bled down in the hydro.  So I had to cut and reweld the front frame... Hood is bent up pretty good.  

Anyway, I saw a 7117H  a couple of hours away with a shot engine for $150.  Not sure of year, but has the white hood with orange and black trim.  Looked to be in decent shape, but don't know details yet.  Figured if most parts fit my Sovereign, it's a pretty good investment.  Can you tell me if most important parts are direct swaps (Hood, Hydro, steering gear (mine is worn out), BGB, hydro lift, etc.)?  I'm in the south, so Simplicities aren't very common around here, but I sure do love mine!  I'd like to keep it going a long time but will eventually need parts!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dan

PhanDad

The mechanicals are the same, but the front of the frames are different, which makes the hoods different.  Here's a couple of pics I have showing the difference; My 75th Ann which should be the same as your "Sovereign":

IMG_4900.thumb.jpg.3733510a3e216ce4c80c4f5e09c60123.jpg

And my GTH-L which was the last of the 7100 series and is identical to the 7117:

SovGTHL_0031.jpg.326cd29b40862e75ff1a52b91070deaf.jpg

The main difference is the front frame is taller on the 7100 series tractors.  

$150 is a good deal, assuming the tranny & BGB are good.  

As to the "hydros", they are basically the same, but your Sovereign should have the hydraulic lift; the 7117 may not.  If it doesn't, it would mean the hydro charge pump RVs are different since it takes more pressure to run the hydro lift.  Changing the RVs is relatively easy and has been documented on the site.  

• Like 2

Brettw

If we take the engine itself and related driveshaft/s throttle cables, electrical, etc., out of the equation, and the slight hood configuration differences, 95% of the parts are interchangeable other than the hydro lift if yours is a manual or electric.  Some of the older 7117's had the remote hydro filter.  Other than that, rear end assembly, hydro pump, axles, wheels, linkages and control levers, park brake, cone clutch, BGB, frame, dash and steering assemblies, front axle and steering linkages, are all interchangeable.  There are likely a few extra nanny's on the later model, but from a mechanical standpoint you should be able to find anything parts you need.  The main parts to these were nearly identical, from the late 70's until their end run in 2000.

• Like 4

dlkelley713

Thanks much Gentlemen!  Excellent information!

So it appears that the hood dimensions are the same other than the tabs at the bottom that connect to the frame?  It so, it would be a pretty easy fix to attach the 7117 hood to my Sovereign (after a bit of fabrication and paint).

Dan

PhanDad
16 minutes ago, dlkelley713 said:

So it appears that the hood dimensions are the same other than the tabs at the bottom that connect to the frame?  It so, it would be a pretty easy fix to attach the 7117 hood to my Sovereign (after a bit of fabrication and paint).

Dan

I would think so....

But @hurleyii should be able to advise on that.  He recently was changing the angle of the hood on a 7100 series tractor.  

hurleyii
11 hours ago, PhanDad said:

I would think so....

But @hurleyii should be able to advise on that.  He recently was changing the angle of the hood on a 7100 series tractor.  

I am currently in the process of a 7100 restoration. In doing this I decided I prefer the look of a Sovereign hood slope instead. So I’ve modified the frame itself accordingly. I’m going OCD on the whole thing. The only difference I can find is in the bottom of the actual hood itself ( not what I would call fenders)!  So bottom of hood line, front to back ( under sovereign sticker) was plus or minus an 1/8” ). This could be a quality control issue . All other dimensions as best as I can measure are identical. 

As a note the Sovereign is fully assembled so measurements of hing bolt may not be accurate. I have done a rough fit of the disassembled parts and they appear to line up perfectly after my frame modifications. From everything I can tell only actual difference between a Sovereign hood and a 7100/900 is the headlights. All other differences are in the frame. Worst case you unbolted your hood for no reason. Worst case for me. I have to buy a Sovereign hood . 

hurleyii
11 hours ago, dlkelley713 said:

Dan

No fabrication should be needed for hood swapping. Painting is a preference.