Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Genuine Kohler KT17 Coil

jackcobb

I’ve had a 917 with the KT17 series 2 for over 10 years. Occasional use only, struggled with carb issues for a couple early years but those are corrected. Then ignition. First bout I went the $39 China coil route. Ran like a champ for a couple years, but then failed again. Local dealers want $300 for Genuine Kohler. In searching , I found a genuine for just under $200 , from a WI company. The box looks genuine Kohler with Genuine Kohler ID sticker on it. Two ignition wires say made in USA. The nuts for the +,- posts came in a sealed factory Kohler bag with the kit number professionally printed on the bag. But the overall appearance of the coil is identical to the China coil. Including the number ( including font size ) on the bottom of the two coils. Is there anyway to be sure this is a genuine Kohler coil. The times we live in, have me a tick gun shy . On the plus side, the KT17 fired right up and is running great

Hi  Jack,

I dont know about the coils, but I have noticed that the fuel pumps seem to be that exact same thing as the cheap after market china made ones. I think I bought one oem and several aftermarket ones now and compared a long while back, Couldnt see any real difference other than the packaging, and the 70% price difference. Never had a problem with any of them thus far. Still have one of the china ones in a tractor thats been here for a number of years now.

Thanks Sam. I put a China carb on a 100 Series Cub and it’s been working great. But I didn’t have much luck with the $39 coil. I’m just hoping this $200 one solved my issues. KirkEngines has a coil he’s selling too. Looks identical to a 90’s era Harley v-twin coil. Almost bought that one, it has great reviews on the Cub sites. Fingers crossed 🤞 

1 hour ago, jackcobb said:

Thanks Sam. I put a China carb on a 100 Series Cub and it’s been working great. But I didn’t have much luck with the $39 coil. I’m just hoping this $200 one solved my issues. KirkEngines has a coil he’s selling too. Looks identical to a 90’s era Harley v-twin coil. Almost bought that one, it has great reviews on the Cub sites. Fingers crossed 🤞 

Carbs are another story for me. I have bought a number of the china carbs for K341 engines. Track record on those is about 1 out of 3 has been no good. Bad casting, passages  or ??? etc etc. I have been buying from Ebay sellers with  decent feedback ratings and they dont seem to  bat an eye at just sending another carb at no cost. One seller told me they are used to a certain percentage of them being junk and needing replaced.