Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bob DeVarney W1ICW

Proud new Simplicity owner

Bob DeVarney W1ICW

Hi All,

I was just given a 1976-ish Simplicity Broadmoor 5008 tractor with all the extras; tiller, mower deck, snowblower, you name it,  plus several extra engines. The original Briggs 8 HP is old and tired and missing the carb and head. So my question is, how concerned should I be about upsizing and potentially overwhelming the drivetrain? I'd much ruther have an underpowered 8 HP that lasts forever than a 14 HP that breaks the transaxle every time I take it out to play.

I'm pretty sure the 14 HP simply won't physically fit, but I got two 12 HP engines as well, and I'm thinking one or the other of those will end up being the powerplant. Would that be too much for the original three-speed transmission?

Brettw

You will be just fine with anything 8-12 horse power int hat tractor, just try to find a comparable fit.  I think they were basically the same size through the 12 horse.  You have an excellent unit that will till and cut grass and blow snow and do what you ask of it.  Pretty tough little unit, as is it's transaxle. 

dhoadley

My "small-frame" (our nickname for the Broadmoors) was repowered with an 11.5 hp offshore budget engine. Here's the link to that thread.

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/65001-repowering-my-small-frame/

I found it to be a great match once I shoehorned it in there. I use it exclusively for grass cutting. I tried blowing snow, but I couldn't ever get the balance of keeping the chute fed and not overwhelming the belt and it slipping.

The drive train will handle your hp easy.