Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

peter ramey

What is this for?

ShaunE

That's for leaking..

Seriously though it's called a pintle shaft.  Notorious for leaking on those Vickers hydro units.  @Chris727 & others have had these repaired.  To repair them properly, the casting is line bored & bushed.  I've never owned one of these so others can verify.  But in the later models, there was some type of seal & maybe bushing from the factory.  

• Haha 3

ShaunE
1 hour ago, peter ramey said:

thanks for the info i will look in to fixing the leak 

does the pintle shaft have a purpose though

Without ever owning one, I would guess that it slides fore & aft when the tractor is moved forward & reverse thus diverting the hydraulic fluid in different directions?  

peter ramey
15 minutes ago, ShaunE said:

Without ever owning one, I would guess that it slides fore & aft when the tractor is moved forward & reverse thus diverting the hydraulic fluid in different directions?  

oh okay thanks

PhanDad
2 hours ago, peter ramey said:

does the pintle shaft have a purpose though

As @ShaunE surmised, it diverts the hydraulic fluid for forward/reverse and speed.  It is rotated by the lever attached to the front of the shaft:

IMG_8260.thumb.JPG.4bec3894990799b98c2445a105f453e7.JPG

Based on this pic of a 3416 Vickers (latest version) you seem to be missing a bushing or seal on your pintle shaft:

IMG_8278a.JPG.35c42148d452ee4aff097df6c32380d0.JPG

In my experience, the front of the pintle shaft is usually the leaker (lever forces wear the bushing).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

peter ramey
7 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

As @ShaunE surmised, it diverts the hydraulic fluid for forward/reverse and speed.  It is rotated by the lever attached to the front of the shaft:

IMG_8260.thumb.JPG.4bec3894990799b98c2445a105f453e7.JPG

Based on this pic of a 3416 Vickers (latest version) you seem to be missing a bushing or seal on your pintle shaft:

IMG_8278a.JPG.35c42148d452ee4aff097df6c32380d0.JPG

In my experience, the front of the pintle shaft is usually the leaker (lever forces wear the bushing).  

i see thanks