Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sean72

Simplicity 5216 - Transmission Repairable?

Sean72

I have an old Simplicity 5216 tractor, probably from late 1980’s.  It's been sitting for years, I stopped using it when the transmission wouldn't move it forward (in any gear)... reverse works but not forward.  I would prefer to get it working as the engine didn't have that many hours on it.

I got it running, and found a place that said they'd look into repairing it, but they couldn't tell me if they could.  I'd have to get tires and a battery to make movable (with reverse) but obviously don't want to put money in it if it's not repairable.

The net of my question... do you know if the transmission is repairable, if not is a replacement transmission a possibility?

fyi: it originally had a 16hp engine but was replaced with an 18hp version, the transmission is a manual gearbox, not sure how to identify which transmission it is; from a manual I have it appears several versions were available (Peerless 810, 815, 801-019 and 801-019a).  I live in northern NJ.

I’d appreciate any suggestions/advice.  Thanks!  Sean

Sean72

Thanks for the comment/reply!

I've read quite a few posts but haven't found an answer yet.  Will keep searching but appreciate further comments/suggestions!

Thanks!  Sean