Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

steve-wis

New to me 919, with questions

steve-wis

Hi all!

Picked this up today. I bought it for the tires, rims, and tiller, but I think this might become a project tractor after retirement.  The guy I bought it from included a set of decals he had bought so I am already started down that road.  I have a few questions that I hope you all can answer for me. First, i believe this is a triad engine?  PO has re-rung it, it runs good, no smoke, no noise.  Advice on keeping it running is appreciated.  I am thinking this will be my tilling and plow day tractor at least for now.  Next, i can open the throttle wide open and it seems like it is running awful fast.  Do the linkage pics look right?  Third, what is the best way to paint the ugly yellow off the rims on the back.  I really don't want to dismount the tires if I don't have to, is there an easier way to mask them off?  And finally, the tiller is from an older tractor. It is 32 inch, which will work for me for the little I am going to use it, but the tines are very well worn.  Any chance a guy can find replacements anywhere?

Between the new front tires and rims and the back tires, the PO had about $400 in the tires alone.  I paid $600 for it.  Thought it was a decent price.

Anxiously  waiting the expert input from you all!

Steve

thumbnail_IMG_1276.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1277.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1278.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1279.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1280.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1281.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1282.jpg

Edited by steve-wis
  • Like 1

PhanDad
15 hours ago, steve-wis said:

First, i believe this is a triad engine?

Nope, it’s a KT-19. Big brother to the KT-17, both good engines.   I’m thinking it’s a “series 1” engine, which means the oil system isn’t as good as the newer “series 2” (I don’t know if the KT-19 came in two versions).  @Brettw and @MikeES are two of the sites KT “experts” and can confirm or correct my thought on the series. 

Advice on keeping it running is appreciated.  I am thinking this will be my tilling and plo

Don’t run it on steep slopes, it’ll starve for oil.  Keep the cooling fins clean; overheating leading to a broken rod did in the KT-17 in the 17GTH-L I picked up years ago. 

i can open the throttle wide open and it seems like it is running awful fast.

Check it with a tachometer to see if the governor might not be set correctly.  

Edited by PhanDad
Spelling
  • Like 4

Imxploring

Nice solid machine... keep her going! 

The engine should be a Kohler KT-19.... the series 1 engines had a lubricating issue that was addressed with the series 2 engine. There are videos on YouTube that will help you to identify which one you have based on some different visible feature on the engine block.

Good luck! That's a machine worth restoring!

Edited by Imxploring
  • Like 1

SmilinSam
On 5/15/2021 at 4:33 PM, steve-wis said:

Third, what is the best way to paint the ugly yellow off the rims on the back.  I really don't want to dismount the tires if I don't have to, is there an easier way to mask them off? 

Usually I like to dismount and blast the yellow paint off so it will not show through when rubbed or scratched through the color you are painting. However  You can jsu mask and paint regardless.

Here is how I have been doing wheels for years now.

Get a a roll of duck tape. Get the good stuff , not a cheepie with half the stickum on it.. The start with your index finger and push the leading corner up under the rim with the sticky to the tire. Push the sticky down against the tire, but just the width of your finger of tape.  Then just continue around the wheel  with two fingers holding the tape down and the index poking the leading edge down under and against the rim.

medium.DSCN2595.JPG.e9df792993f3bd1a6b19

When you get around to where you started and get done it will look like this....

medium.DSCN2596.JPG.81f7c038efc99a543bcb

I usually have the top of the spray can down  just in the  taped circle and spray short bursts as I go around. Usually put the wheel up on a old garbage can turned upside down with cardboard under the wheel. This so I can easily walk around it as I paint.  Always keep moving as you spray as runs are easy to create painting this close to the part. Get done with one side, peel the tape off, turn over and tape up the other side. If you do get overspray on the tire by chance, just have a rag handy thats wetted with paint thinnner and wipe it off before it dries.

You can also stand the tire up and paint with the can vertical, just turning the wheel as you go.

At first if you lay the tire down and paint, you can also use a piece of carboard  in your off hand outside the tap to help shield the tire from overspray. At least till you get the hang of it.

• Like 4

MikeES

Nice tractor!  If the engine is original, the air cleaner would say "Series II" if it was. 

The max engine speed (with governor adjusted properly) is that little tab behind the lever that the throttle cable attaches to.   Just loosen the nut and rotate the tab slightly (rotate towards the front of the tractor to slow max rpm) re-tighten the bolt (not too tight as this is threaded into aluminum), start engine and recheck rpm.   This stops the amount of travel  from the throttle lever. 

They only hold 1-1/4 quarts of oil so KEEP IT FULL, and keep the cylinder fins clean and it will last forever!

• Like 1