Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Carburetor Question

BAP

I have a Briggs and Stratton 302431-0144-01 in my tractor. The carburetor is in rough shape and I was wondering where the best place to buy one is? Are the $30 ones on Amazon any good or are they crap. Mine is probably rebuildable, both shafts are sloppy, so I was wondering if I might be better off and more cost effective to just put another one on. 

I put one of those ultra cheap carbs on a Harbor Freight Greyhound 11 horse engine. It fit right on and seems to work fine. I just ordered one for a Mantis Tiller that's seen its share of use. I put a carb from the dealer on before and it cost me $70, and genuine carbs are about $90. This one will cost me about $13, including spare bulbs and new fuel lines and grommets. As for a carb for the old cast iron Briggs, I was able to rebuild mine, though it still leaks out the bottom. Its a crapshoot as NOS carburetors will be hard to find, so the Chinese replacement just might work. You can always send it back if it doesn't work if you are getting it from Amazon. 

My experience is that 1 in 3 of the chineese carbs is junk and wont work. I just buy from Ebay sellers with high feedback ratings and have never had a problem getting replacements for the ones that dont work. Never been asked to return  any of the junk ones.

• 1 month later...

@BAP

I put a OEM B&S "Made in China" carb, P/N 391065, on my newly restored 12HP, 300421 and it is working great so I purchased a spare off eBay.

20210629_180923.jpg

Just got my latest china Briggs carb on the Big Ten Project up and running too. No problems so far here either...dOd

• 2 weeks later...

Have not tried a Briggs. but agree with Sam, at least 1 in about 6 for a Kohler are junk. 1 in 10 for a Stihl, on a good day. Customers ask me to buy them, order them 3 at a time, hoping one will work. I have the same carb you have on my Landlord, shafts are sloppy, and if I have time this season, intend to bush the shafts. Will try to take pics this time as the job progresses and post the results.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend isavetractors.com - they have high quality parts and good informational videos for old tractor engines, mostly Kohler but some B&S.  I just bought a new updraft carb for my Landlord 10HP (243431), and it's a thing of beauty.  It was like $69.  They also charge a reasonable fixed amount for shipping.

• Like 1