Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vangaurd problem child

SteveP

This Vangaurd is bogging down and blowing black smoke. Doesn't seem to be blowing oil. It has has no power and loads up. The gas cap is venting and a fair new gas filter. I thought I had it adjusted the other day but last night when I started to mow it ran fine for 2-3 minutes then started to bog down. Help please

First, check your plugs to see that they are not fouled. Next check the oil, look for it to be overfull. If so, then the float needle valve has stuck and filled the crankcase with gas. The vapors are then sucked into the engine through the crankcase vent and will flood the engine. If neither of these, then you might check to see if the main jet has worked loose. My Vanguard has a non adjustable jet, but it can be removed with a screwdriver. If this jet has worked loose from the seat it will cause flooding. To get to it, you remove the electrical shut-off valve from the bottom of the carb, under the fuel bowl, remove the fuel bowl, and the jet sits in the hole that the shut-off valve screws into. Good Luch Rod H.

Hi, check your air cleaner, If it is oily, the breather is allowing oil to blow into it. Check the bottom of the dipstick cap for an o-ring. Any crankcase leak will let air in the crankcase and eliminate the vaccuum. Another common problem is leakage in the head gasket from the cylinder into the oil return passage. The gasket will probably not be blown, but may leak enough to cause the problem. If this is the problem, check the head for flatmess. If it is more than .002 it needs to be resurfaced. We have probably put head gaskets in 40 of these engines for this problem in the last 6 years. Good luck, Al Eden