Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Regent question

RachelAnne

Hi,

New member here with a question about my Regent that my dealer refuses to address. I have an older Simplicity Regent 12 HP Hydro. It has a Sullivan hydro unit. We have always been able to push the tractor when needed by pulling back the PTO release lever at the rear of the tractor. All of a sudden when I pull the handle back it just snaps forward. If I hold it back and try to move the tractor I can tell that it is not free wheeling and can only move it about a foot or so.  The tractor runs fine and still drives fine.

When I brought this up to the dealer they say NEVER do anything to the hydro unit. They will not even do fluid changes on them. Am I correct in that this is probably just that an adjustment is need to some of the linkage to allow the release lever to work as intended? Any tips?

17 hours ago, RachelAnne said:

When I brought this up to the dealer they say NEVER do anything to the hydro unit. They will not even do fluid changes on them. Am I correct in that this is probably just that an adjustment is need to some of the linkage to allow the release lever to work as intended? Any tips?

Not sure what transmission this is in your tractor, but I think its one of the hydrogear variants. Not exactly sure what tractor you have either, as the "regent" name has been used on a number of tractor types over the years. If you  find the ID tag on your tractor there should be a model number starting with "169". That number would let us look it up and see just what the tractor is.

In any case there is probably not going to be any good news for you as to fixing the problem easy. My experience with hydro transmissions is that the push release mechanisms are inside the transmission. The rod or lever just goes to a control arm on a shaft sticking out of the transmission itself. If something is wrong you have to take the transmission apart to fix it. Most of these small hydro units on the smaller tractors are built "sealed" and non serviceable. In other words  they were not meant to be serviced or repaired. I am assuming your transmission is one of these. Many of these transmissions are no longer available to get a replacement.

Putting a different transmission in it , while possible, is usually not cost effective. Would be cheaper to just buy another tractor.

Sorry to bring depressing news like this to the table , but that is my experience anyhow. Maybe others in here will have a different perspective or information.....

• Like 2

Thanks Sam,

The tractor model is 1692403 and the transmission is a Hydro-Gear 1709811. All things considered, i bought the tractor in 1995 for $2700 so I think I did ok figuring that is about $100/year.

• Like 2

Hi,

Probably the only realistic fix is to find a similar tractor with a bad engine and make one good one out of the two.  I  have done that with a couple of older tractors, it is a fair amount of work tho.  Otherwise, like you said, the tractor has given good service for 26 years, can't complain too much about that.

Steve

On 5/24/2021 at 1:31 PM, RachelAnne said:

The tractor runs fine and still drives fine.

9 hours ago, RachelAnne said:

All things considered, i bought the tractor in 1995 for $2700 so I think I did ok figuring that is about $100/year.

If its still running and mowing fine  try finding another approach to the problem.  Dont laugh, but I found that cheap car dollies and a floor jack do wonders for moving tractors around on a concrete floor Doesnt take long to jack up and throw the dollies under the wheels and vise versa.  Best of all you can push the tractor around in any direction ..forward, backward and sidewaysdOd

If you dont have a surface that car dollies would work on, there are other ideas that can be dreamed up I'm sure.

Who knows, it may provide more years of service yet..

• Like 3