Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Playing with the cultivator.

thedaddycat

So I tried using the cultivator on my new part of the garden. Just like the spike Harrow, only the front teeth were engaging at first.

I wanted up using the wide drawbar and two sets of tines. I put the wheels to the back and a 50 lb scale weight on top. This seemed to work a little bit better.

The last picture shows my fix for the sleeve hitch. I welded a spacer on to the rear lift and drove a hole out. Not exactly lining up so I'm making up dog leg in the lift rod.

KIMG1212.JPG

KIMG1214.JPG

KIMG1217.JPG

• Like 3

I used mine with an older fdt hitch behind a 3012 to tear up an area in my neighbor's yard. Really did an amazing job breaking up the soil after 2 or 3 passes. 

Pretty cool attachment there. Lots of tines that I am sure I could not pull through what passes for topsoil at my place.  I have trouble with the four scarifiers on my earthcavator. &:)

I was wondering - looks like there are two adjustments on the implement - one right at the sleeve hitch and the other just in front of your weight. They would be used along with the wheels and drawbar height to level the tines at digging depth, right? That would influence the effectiveness and ability to dig in. Seems like the angle of the tines is designed to pull them into the soil without extra weight.

I am no farmer or expert, not even a good amateur, but wanting to be enlightened.

• Like 2

KIMG1218.JPG

Here is a close up of the hitch. Yes, this is an OEM hitch that I took off one of my other cultivators. This drawbar is not S/AC, I have no idea who made it. You can adjust the angle of the sleeve hitch to tongue angle with this mount. Next back you see the adjustment for the drawbar angle. I'm not sure if this goes up or down so I set it neutral as best I could.

I mounted the guide wheels reverse position, they should be facing forward with the bend going to the front. See some of my earlier posts for how they were set up before...

KIMG1219.JPG

This pic shows how these things are set up. The center tine is fixed in vertical position. You can move it up or down but only if you move the entire array up or down. The tines on the inner and outer legs can be set individually by the clamps.

For lateral spacing, I mounted the orange sets of tines forward of the drawbar and the "red" (really rust) sets aft of it. 

You can set these up to sweep into the center of the row or outward towards the crops. The same holds true for the weed cutter sweeps.

Also note that each tine can be set for a "forward or aft" angle within the limits of the arc at the top of the tine mount. Again, note that the tines can be reversed in the event that you wear them out... Now that would be a lot of plowing...

Edited by thedaddycat
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thedaddycat said:

You can set these up to sweep into the center of the row or outward towards the crops. The same holds true for the weed cutter sweeps.

That's a pretty versatile tool. I'll bet the operator manual gives detailed directions for each and every configuration. They really expected these things to operate like a small-plot tractor. My dad had a 50's vintage walk-behind with at least a sickle bar mower, ride-on cart, hay rake and some tilling implements. I don't know what brand. It disappeared when they moved to suburbia in 1958 when I was about 6 yrs old. Wish I had it.

• Like 4