Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3112V driving me crazy!!

steve-wis

Help!!!!

So I am selling the loader sub frame that was on my 3112V tractor.  The tractor has no battery in it, so I pushed it about 8 feet to the center of the garage.  Jacked up the rear end, removed each rear wheel to remove the loader frame and wheel spacers.  Put the wheels back on, lower the jack, and the rear end is locked up, like it is in gear but it is in neutral.  I did NOT even put the thing in gear, didn't move the shift lever, just wheels off and back on.  I did take the left side plate off to get the frame support off and rebolted it onto the rear end and BGB.

So what happened?  Any ideas?  would have taken pictures, but there is nothing to take pictures of, it just won't roll.  Can anyone offer and advice?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Brake is on the left side. Could it be locked up? Did you do anything to the set screws on the differential? If they are too tight it could be locked in posi-traction. 

Brake is ok, i backed out the set screws to check, no difference.  I am thinking it is locked in gear, but don't know how it could be seeing as i did not even start or shift it.  With the wheels off the ground, turn one and the other turns opposite direction, that is how it should be, right?

Edited by steve-wis

Doesn't make any sense to me. 

Get some power to the battery connectors, remove the spark plug wire, and then with the back end jacked up so both wheels are off the ground use the starter to turn over the engine. 

Watch the axle tube, if it turns, the tranny's in gear.  

• Like 1

Counter rotating axles means the differential gears are working . "easy " counter rotation means the posi is worn out.

Internal gears or bearings rusted as on my 616 may mean no rotation until the internal  jam up is cleaned. Could be a difference if it seized up in neutral or "in gear".

• Like 1

Assuming it is stuck in gear, what is the fix?  I don't think this tranny has a plug to get a bent screwdriver into like the vertical shaft tractors have.  Hope it does not involve tearing the tranny completely apart.

1 hour ago, steve-wis said:

I don't think this tranny has a plug to get a bent screwdriver into like the vertical shaft tractors have.

Zippy's "bent screwdriver trick" video uses a large frame tractor (B-10) as an example, so that shouldn't be an issue.

What maybe be an issue is the variable setup being in the way of the access plug - and I'm sure dismantling the variable to get access won't be fun.  

Well, feeling a bit silly now.  I went back and played with the tractor this morning, intending to go after the shifter forks.  Put it on blocks, rolled over engine, and it is NOT in gear.  So, started it up, put it in gear, it moves but when I push in the clutch it stops immediately, like the brakes are on.  Go back to the brake band, it is loose, but when i try to turn the drum it is tight.  Turns out when I put the side plate back on, somehow the rod that works the brake band got jammed in between the drum and a bolt head.  Popped that sucker out and all is well.  Just goes to show you, when you are tired, dirty and hungry, don't try to troubleshoot a problem, let it set for a day and go back, things have a way of working out.

Thanks for all the imput, I do now have the "bent screwdriver trick" firmly in my brain for whenever I might need it.

Steve

• Like 6