Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
kwt

Mouse nest damage.

kwt

Did a little mowing with one of my T16H's. Worked fine. Later my wife decided to do some mowing. Grand kids came over and she came in the house. 10 minutes later I ask how the tractor was running and she says she stopped because it was smoking. I check it out and when I lift the hood I see flames coming out across the head of the big Briggs. Not big flames, so I decide to let it burn itself out. A week or two later I opened it up and found this.

Installed new coil and modified the lower steering column to introduce grease while things were apart. Buttoned it all up and found that it wouldn't idle. Cranked it with the spark plug disconnected  and heard a rhythmic hissing. Bad head gasket. Aargh. Swapped for a good used one I stole off a 30000 series I had laying around and all is good. Change oil and lube machine.

I think the engine got hot. The head bolts didn't used to look like they do now, and I've never seen a head gasket look like this one.  Runs and idles just fine though. Don't have pics of the valves, but the exhaust was an awful light tan;). I think wifey shut her down pretty quick. I imagine a powerful fan blowing across hot tinder would get your attention.

head.jpg

coilinsitu.jpg

coils.jpg

headgasket.jpg

steeringmouse.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1