Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Smoking Simplicity 6116.....

LesH

I got my Simplicity 6116 with (twin cylinder Briggs) running good the other day, went thru the carb./ added a new muffler etc. When I parked it in my shed I noticed light smoke coming from the top side of the motor, then I took off the shroud and smoke was coming from under the flywheel. I believe that the alternator coil is going bad and will need to be replaced...but is there anything else that would cause it to go bad?? I would hate to see another one burn up. All wiring is good and connections are clean. Thanks

I'm no expert with the armature on these engines, but here's my 2 cents. These things have a 2 sets of windings, 1 winding has a diode installed in one of the 2 output wires to turn AC current into DC to charge the battery. If the diode shorted, maybee it is dischaging the battery when you turn the key off and thats what caused the smoke when you turned the key off. I'd disconnect the battery and see if it produces a spark when the wire is removed from the battery terminal, (Current is still flowing). Beyond that, I'll need to get home and type out the test procedure from the briggs manual. The other winding supplies AC current to the lights. Or maybee the crankcase vent line is disconnected from the aircleaner and it is fooling you, mine tends to weze a little smoke from various points after shutting down. It starts, runs, and seemes to keep the battery charged so I don't care.

If you have compressed air put the nozle under the fly wheel and blow it out good, it may be mouse nesting. Mice love air cooled engines. jimq