Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3012v adjustment

Mine19821

Any tips on adjusting the drive system? It’s all a bit worn. I’ve followed the book but just seems to want to slip or not clutch depending what i do. 

6DCB3011-19F1-4F9C-A0DC-3C816A62BEF1.jpeg

Follow the book and then adjust the little 90 degree belt deflector doodad so that it will grab the belt and the big wheel will come to a stop when the pedal is depressed so as not to grind gears while shifting. You may find that there is a certain spot (1-7 notches) where shifting is a breeze. If so, make sure you are there when you shift. I gave deebig a heart because these units are notoriously persnickity, and worse with an old belt.   

I could not get anywhere with my old belt. Dimensional, it looked fine but would not function without grinding the gears. I discovered if I sprayed water on the belt while it was running it would shift ok while wet! I bit the bullet and replaced the belt and it worked on the first  try with no adjustment needed.

• Like 2