Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
thedaddycat

More dirt, more playing...

thedaddycat

OK folks, here we go again...

What you see here is 24 yards of compost dumped on the side yard. The fresh pile is 18 yards, the foreground pile is about 2 yards left from a 6 yard load. Most of the rest was hand trucked to the sides of the garden, where it was seeded with Dutch White Clover and lightly mulched with hay. You can see it in the background.

KIMG1225.JPG

I used the dozer blade to push the compost out over the area. I found that the best method for me was to push a blade's worth out all the way to where I wanted it to end up. Each trip was about a small wheelbarrow's worth of material. With each successive trip you get closer to the pile you're working from, filling the areas farthest away first and getting closer with load.. Once you have a bunch of piles all over, you use the York rake to more or less level things out. I pushed this pile out so that I had abut 4" over the entire area.

KIMG1228.JPG

Just so everyone can see, this is real tillage. That plow is digging down into the ground by several inches and rolling the soil over into the furrow cut on the previous pass.

KIMG1234.JPG

I ran the York rake through several times, then the 12 tine cultivator several more times. This is the result.

KIMG1236.thumb.JPG.8e4fe811db6473b56267d2167bfb951b.JPG

I went out this morning and hand raked this section of the new garden. I ran the tractor up and down to get my row spacing right, then planted it with my new Earthway row seeder. I planted sweet corn in the far bed and peas, green beans, carrots and beets in the front bed.

Edited by thedaddycat
  • Like 5

thedaddycat

KIMG1241.JPG

Here is the new part of the garden all raked out and mostly planted. The Earthway seeder is out on the next row to be planted.

KIMG1240.JPG

While running the 12 tine around, I discovered a Connecticut pebble. As you can see, the center tine is a bit out of shape now... I think I'll just bend it back roughly in lace and then spin that one around so the bent part is on top.

Up next, setting up the sweeps and cultivator shanks on the wide bar... I planted the corn on Monday and it's up already, in 5 days... Peas, beans, beets, they're all starting to pop. I'll get a pic tomorrow, it's dark here on the East end of the time zone by about 8:45.

Edited by thedaddycat
  • Like 3

thedaddycat

KIMG1242.thumb.JPG.e1c473baa9ba3ddb23092ff22fe63662.JPG

OK, so the row is short and so are the corn plants right now, but at least they're there!

Edited by thedaddycat
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this