Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LesH

620/720 vs. 1920 Ultima/Sunstar

MPH
The defference is apples and oranges. to be more helpful, the ultima is a large garden/lawn tractor, the powermax series were basicly the birth of the sub-compact tractors. Basicly pre kubota days in this country..thier built like a small farm tractor..MPH

LesH
I have a 1920 Ultima and it seems to be a great tractor. I know that there are several differences between it and the 620/720's (diff. engine etc) - but what are the main differences between these tractors - and what would make the older 620/720's so much more pricey than the newer Ultima/Sunstars?

powermax_paul
That's right, Marty. Now that you have one, you too, realize the power and performance of the powermax tractors. I think that the original intent behind the 1920/Sunstar was to duplicate the utility of the powermax in a more cost effective package, but the 4040/4041/9020 series along with the AC 616/620/720 tractors are so much heavier and ruggedly built, that there's no real comparison. The same holds true with the newer Legacy models. These along with the Sunstar have maybe a 1/4" steel stamped frame? While that's a good heavy frame for a garden tractor, consider that the powermax series frame is a welded 1/2" and 3/8" steel frame. The main transmission housing and drop housings are cast iron. The weight of a powermax w/o attachments is nearly 1500#. It's a comparison similar to an 8N to a newer Kubota of similar power. You may have the better comfort and versatility of the Kubota, but not the ruggedness of the older and simpler Ford. Paul

Floydster
I've had my AC 620's for over 23 years, and I'm still impressed by the way they are built,In the early 70's they where way ahead of there time. The Sundstrand hydros are so smooth and tough, just like every thing else on the tractor. The old cast iron Onans will last forever when kept properly tuned and serviced. Floydster