Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rcb

912H Allis... swap to 16hp Kohler?

rcb

The 12hp Kohler is knocking. Before I rebuild this one, if I were to find a 16hp Kohler, would it drop it? Is there a better option? I'm wanting to put a larger deck on this and figured if I'm spending money, I might as well upgrade. None of it is "cheap" anyhow.

PhanDad

The old K series 16HP will bolt right in.  Ignition switch will be the same since both used coil ignition.  

If the 16HP is the newer "Magnum" engine, I don't know if the engine dimensions are the same.  And since the "Magnum" is magneto ignition, you need a "Briggs" ignition switch (or a relay to interface with the +12V ignition wire).  

I also believe the old Briggs single cylinder cast iron engines have the same bolt pattern and crank center line height (6-1/4" x  10-5/8" footprint &  6-1/8" crank height.  If you convert to this engine, the same ignition issue as a Kohler Magnum and a bit different muffler piping.  

Someone hopefully will confirm the above.  

• Like 1

SmilinSam
4 hours ago, PhanDad said:

If the 16HP is the newer "Magnum" engine, I don't know if the engine dimensions are the same.  And since the "Magnum" is magneto ignition, you need a "Briggs" ignition switch (or a relay to interface with the +12V ignition wire).  

I also believe the old Briggs single cylinder cast iron engines have the same bolt pattern and crank center line height (6-1/4" x  10-5/8" footprint &  6-1/8" crank height.  If you convert to this engine, the same ignition issue as a Kohler Magnum and a bit different muffler piping.  

Someone hopefully will confirm the above.  

Magnum singles will also drop right in. Mufflers will attach the same as the K series, as will the driveshaft connections. as long as the flywheel has the 4 bolt holes to accomodate the K series adaptor.  Just have to rewire for magneto ignition

With the Briggs cast irons you would also have to get creative at building muffler connections to go from Kohler to Briggs or vice versa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1