Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RobFromVA

New shoes for the 18 Hyrdro!

RobFromVA

I finally got new tires for my Sovereign 18 Hydro.  I went with Sunf ATV tires for the rear, in 24X10.5-12, and got the Firestone tri-ribs for the front (in the correct size).  It definitely steers easier, but I still feel that something is not quite right, as my backup tractor, also a hydro 18, steers easier.  (Any suggestions as to where to look next?  The actual spindle assemblies, (what the wheel rides on) turn freely, when detached from the tie rod.) 

Here are some pics of the old girl: (P.S. ignore the rigged c-clamp in lieu of getting a new throttle cable :) )

(IMG_20210610_104447.thumb.jpg.be9ce67839161cbc311fcb7a1cfa5773.jpgMVIMG_20210610_104457.thumb.jpg.19bdac250da107214c59c6eb7d66ef9c.jpgMVIMG_20210610_104443.thumb.jpg.995bc7f8543abef70c76f64bac0d31f1.jpg

IMG_20210610_104504.jpg

Edited by RobFromVA
text
  • Like 3

Bill725

There is a steel bushing at the bottom of the steering shaft that does not get lube to it. Spray anti-sieze on the steering shaft and let it run down into the bushing.

I would be afraid the ATV tires would tear up my grass.

Edited by Bill725
  • Like 2

AC710
2 hours ago, Bill725 said:

There is a steel bushing at the bottom of the steering shaft that does not get lube to it. Spray anti-sieze on the steering shaft and let it run down into the bushing.

If that doesn't work, you might have to pull the steering gear, take it apart and clean and lube that bushing. I did. It makes a world of difference.

you can judge if that is the problem by unhooking the drag link and turning the steering wheel - it should be very light and loose. If it isn't, it is probably that bushing.

• Like 1

RobFromVA

Yeah, that sounds about right.  Thanks for the input on the steering!  I have not had any issues with the tires tearing up the lawn, unless I'm off kilter on a hill, in which case I am VERY CAREFUL, indeed.

720nut
12 hours ago, spi said:

I put ATV tires on the back of my 3410 and it will go anywhere. Haven't had problems with it spinning. Actually it hasn't made as much of a mess as the turf tires with chains did.

I'm sure your not turning a sharp as we do with the O's but would think in the sandy soil we have here they would tear it up . Just my $.02