Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

When's the best time of the year...

bruker1

..to buy a used mower? I have an '04 Prestige and it's treated me well and it's still taking care of business. I'd like to upgrade to a late model Prestige and am wondering when the best time of the year to get a good deal? What are your experiences?

I dont know that L&G dealers offer cheaper pricing during off seasons like car dealers do on sports cars during the winter.

I bought both my 03 and 06 Prestiges for cheap with dead engines in them, then repowered with engines from other tractors.

The 03 cost me $100 & a cheap 16hp Landlord with a 44" and  50" decks I had laying around and was repowered with a 20hp vanguard that was out of a 05 Broadmoor that had the tranny died in it. I had $450 in the broadmoor and had used it to mow with for a number of years before the tranny went out.

The 06 cost me $600 at auction and was repowered with a 300 hour 23hp Kohler  out of a Lowes Deere that cost me $500.

Both units had 54" decks and were in really nice shape other than needing engines. Thats how I "upgrade" anyhow.

The 2nd gen Prestiges are getting old enough now that finding one with a dead engine in it might be a possibility.

• Like 1

You guys are killing me, my newest tractor is the 7112H from I think 1986 and the old one is the Putt Putt, a 1961 725...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TomSchmit said:

What year did the 2nd generation Prestige start production?

08 or 09

@Chris727 has one and may know for sure.

Not sure when the 4wd versions came out.

With inventory shortages there probably won’t be many deals to be had through dealers. There are typically many more used mowers listed for sale in the spring and early summer but the demand and prices will be higher. In the fall and winter prices will be a tad lower but there will be a much smaller selection to choose from. As far as when the mid-generation Prestige came into production, I’m not sure. I’d have to research MFR #s. 

The best time is when you find the right one at the right price. Keep an eye on Facebook and Craigslist every day and you may be rewarded. I bought a 2015 with 70 hours on it last year. It can be done. And the step up in tech from a 1980s tractor is huge. Full suspension means you can cut at high speeds and PS allows you to turn fast. Really cuts mow time. I don't miss my old tractors even though I kept a Sovereign for snow and a 5216H for trail and pasture duty.