Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rusty mower decks

Tarheel

I just bought a 48 inch deck off a 7119. Everything looked good until I removed the top covers. No holes but the metal is pretty thin in places. I have watched videos of people using rust converter of different brands then painting. I'd like to save this deck if I can. what do you do in a situation like this ? Thanks

First I remove the loose or flaky rust, but don't bother to get it down to bare metal. I then buy a wax toilet gasket ring, melt it, and mix in boiled linseed oil. While it's still molten I paint it onto the metal over rust, bare metal, and paint. This will keep your deck sealed against water and air to prevent further corrosion. I'd do this on the under side and under the belt covers. The top side of the deck I would clean up or use rust converter and paint as the wax would make a mess and be slippery on your feet.

If you clean out under your deck and do the wax every fall before storage it should last a good long time.

Another option which I have pursued and I am very happy with is, on my late model Sovereign's 48" deck, I had the deck acid dipped and powder coated. I also bought a spare set of belt covers and cut bigger holes on the outside and cut the center out to blow the clippings out, but I have since been running without the belt covers. If the deck shell is in bad shape, you may want to consider purchasing another deck in better shape. I have (2) Sovereigns with complete decks and (2) spare deck shells. I am in the process of having my 42" blower powder coated also.

Thanks for the input.  I was thinking along the lines of using a wire brush on a side grinder to remove loose rust, then a converter and then maybe POR-15 ? I'm not a fan of powder coat.  The late model BGB I have is faded badly from sun and seems hard to buff. I don't really know much about it and it could be wet sanding would help?

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Thanks for the input.  I was thinking along the lines of using a wire brush on a side grinder to remove loose rust, then a converter and then maybe POR-15 ? I'm not a fan of powder coat.  The late model BGB I have is faded badly from sun and seems hard to buff. I don't really know much about it and it could be wet sanding would help?

Yes, wet sanding followed by buffing will help. I did that on my '99 DLX. IMG_1664.thumb.JPG.334bef6d19c6e32303ea70261e980df5.JPG

• Like 1

Looks good Chris. Not sure there is enough thickness for that kind of results on mine but from the looks of yours, it may be worth a try. Thanks for the input everyone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Looks good Chris. Not sure there is enough thickness for that kind of results on mine but from the looks of yours, it may be worth a try. Thanks for the input everyone.

I was using 2000 grit, took a while to get down to the color. 

Ken, That repair around the arbor is almost exactly the way I do my repairs. Main difference being I was never smart enough to pre-cut all the pieces. I'd do one piece at a time, welding and bending as I go. I'll have to try it your way.  Thanks